• 13 Replies

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
    • Underground Music Companion
The Japanese ANIME thread
« on: September 22, 2021, 04:06:35 AM »
Let's start with the granddaddy of them all... AKIRA

LINK: Dazed Digital - How Akira sent shockwaves through pop culture and changed it

Akira - Trailer

Why Akira is the Most Important Anime Ever Made

The Impact of Akira: The Film that Changed Everything

Ask anyone – Katsuhiro Otomo’s 1988 film Akira is largely considered the most important animation of all time. OF ALL TIME, Kanye West will tell you. It served as a visual ammo for his video for “Stronger”, some of its signature graphics recreated exactly as they appeared in the film.

One of Akira’s key animators, Makiko Futaki, sadly passed away last week at age 57 due to illness. She was the lead animator at Studio Ghibli before her death, a consequential contributor there, synonymous with films like Kiki’s Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour Totoro and Howl’s Moving Castle. She loved birds. Her specialty was drawing birds and nature, her hand noticeably behind the tree on steroids in Totoro and the geese taken down by a rogue gust of wind in Kiki’s Delivery Service.

Before that was Akira – the cyberpunk thriller about a military project set in 2019 neo-Tokyo. It was not a work for which she can be solely attributed. In fact, she was only one of 68 key animators. Akira won’t even be the work for which she’s primarily remembered. However, by nearly every measure, it was the masterpiece that put a chokehold on pop culture’s psyche.

When anime was still largely considered a diversion for kids and comic book nerds, mostly due to the medium and child-targeted releases like 1967’s Speed Racer, Akira sailed in on a river of blood and cartoon nudity. It looked different to previous anime features, as Otomo took Hollywood films like Bonnie & Clyde as inspiration. The result was a visual paroxysm: the final product pried open audience’s eyes by using a record 327 colours, 50 of which were created specifically for the production. (Akira Red is a thing, apparently.)

Rather than scrimp by animating and then recording dialogue like its corner-cutting predecessors, Akira tailored its animation to pre-recorded dialogue, meaning that mouths moved when characters spoke – something we now take for granted. Scenes were painstakingly hand-drawn and painted, even if they were only seen for a split second. The score was jarring and eerie, recorded even before the existence of a script.

Upon its modest cinematic release in the West, it took in hundreds of thousands of dollars and won over anime sceptics. It kicked down the door for animated films with mature themes, paving the way for renegade animation from directors like Satoshi Kon. Its legacy is such that it continues to reverberate in pop culture’s echo chamber, occasionally reappearing in properties clearly influenced by its stunning visuals. Without Akira, we wouldn’t have The Matrix, Looper, Chronicle, or Inception.

In Michael Jackson’s video for “Scream” (see above), a scene of the film depicting its main character Tetsuo falling from a military laboratory can be glimpsed on a flickering screen in the background. For “Stronger”, Kanye West enlisted the help of veteran music video director Hype Williams to channel his inspiration into a visual love letter to his favourite anime. Avid fans immediately pointed out West’s influences: Akira.

“He was always inspired by Akira,” Williams told SOHH around the release of the video. “There was a point where we really dove in and wound up filming parts of that movie for the video, but we decided to back off it and do something a little more abstract for the final version. So originally it went from inspired by – to us really diving into that world and giving him a piece of the story and that kind of transmutated into the video that’s out now.”

West has since tweeted about his undying love for the film, saying, “No way Spirited Away is better than Akira… NOOO WAAAY…sorry was just looking at a youtube of top 10 anime films.” Now, it’s up there in Yeezy’s top two:

The rights to a live-action remake are allegedly owned by Leonardo DiCaprio. While it’s likely that he was holding out for an Academy Award before embarking on any adaptation of it, there have been whispers for years that fans would be treated to a live-action Akira – or even the second half of the manga on which it was based. Earlier this year, Otomo hinted that a TV series was in development.

“It took a long time to make and it was very expensive,” Otomo told Monthly Film Bulletin of the film’s production in 1991, “but it gave a lot of people the chance to do their best work.” One of those people? Key animator Makiko Futaki, whose legacy will unmistakably live on in the retina-searing visuals of Akira’s brightly lit neo-Tokyo.

Scandroid - Neo-Tokyo (Official Lyric Video)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 09:50:47 PM by Administrator »

Offline 5arah

• View Profile
Re: The Japanese ANIME thread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 04:56:56 AM »

One of my favorite movies is Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime)

Beautiful story of the struggle for balance between nature and technological progress.

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 09:46:30 PM »
PASTACHULI - Shinjuku

PASTACHULI - D e s c e n d e n t

PASTACHULI - 救 [ S a l v a c i ó n ]

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 10:01:50 PM »
Perturbator - Welcome to Nocturne City「AMV」

HEALTH - HATEFUL (Neo Tokyo (1987) [Darksynth / Cyberpunk]「AMV」

A K I R A - Cyberpunk / Dark Techno / Dark Electro Mix

Flashworx - Futurisma

Akira vs Daft Punk

AKIRA: Riding in the 80s

AKIRA / Kaneda's Theme (Peter Zimmermann's SYNTHWAVE DISCO REMIX)

AKIRA (1988-2019 Remix Tribute)

AMV - Ghost in the Shell (1995) - "Inner Universe"

Perturbator - Future Club (Ghost in the Shell edit)

Perturbator - Venger (feat. Greta Link) 「 AMV 」 Ghost in the Shell

Perturbator - Death squad (Unofficial Videoclip)

Perturbator - Humans Are Such Easy Prey (Unofficial Videoclip)

GHOST IN THE SHELL 1995 [AMV] | Perturbator - Neo Tokyo

« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 10:09:53 PM by Administrator »

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 04:32:30 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Racer

Speed Racer, also known as Mach GoGoGo (Japanese: マッハGoGoGo, Hepburn: Mahha GōGōGō), is a Japanese manga about automobile racing created by Tatsuo Yoshida. It was originally serialized in print in Shueisha's 1966 Shōnen Book. It was released in tankōbon book form by Sun Wide Comics and later re-released in Japan by Fusosha. Adapted into anime by Tatsunoko Productions, its 52 episodes aired on Fuji TV from April 1967 to March 1968. In the US, the show aired in syndication at approximately the same time. The anime was later re-broadcast on Tokyo MX from July 1 to September 25, 2008.

Selected chapters of the manga were released by NOW Comics in the 1990s under the title Speed Racer Classics. These were later released by Wildstorm Productions, a division of DC Comics, as Speed Racer: The Original Manga. In 2008, under its Americanized title, Speed Racer, Mach GoGoGo was republished in its entirety in the United States by Digital Manga Publishing and was released as a box set to commemorate the franchise's 40th anniversary, as well as serving as a tie-in with the 2008 film. The television series was very successful in the United States and is said to have defined anime in that country until the 1990s, being watched by a total estimated audience of 40 million viewers during the 1960s–1970s.

The manga spawned an anime adaptation which actually became a bigger success. 52 episodes were produced from 1967 to 1968. In 1997, Tatsunoko produced a modernized version of Mach GoGoGo which aired on TV Tokyo, ABC lasting for 34 episodes. An English adaptation of this remake was produced by DiC titled Speed Racer X, which aired in 2002 on Nickelodeon. Only the first 13 episodes were adapted due to licensing disputes between DiC and Speed Racer Enterprises. Mach Girl was a web-based series by Tatsunoko Productions, created by Tatsuo Yoshida's daughter, Suzuka.

English adaptation
The English rights to Mach GoGoGo were acquired by syndicator Trans-Lux (which originally was, and still exists as, an electronics manufacturer), and Speed Racer premiered on American television in the summer of 1967. In the series, Speed's full name was Go Mifune, in homage to Japanese film star Toshiro Mifune. His name, Americanized, became Speed Racer. His adventures centered on his powerful Mach 5 car, his girlfriend Trixie, his little brother Spritle, Spritle's pet chimpanzee Chim-Chim, and his mysterious older brother, Racer X, whose real name was Rex Racer.

Speed Racer theme
For American consumption, major editing and dubbing efforts were undertaken by producer Peter Fernandez, who likewise not only wrote and directed the English-language dialogue but also provided the voices of many of the characters, most notably Racer X and Speed Racer himself. Fernandez was also responsible for a rearrangement of the theme song's melody, written and composed by Nobuyoshi Koshibe, and he subsequently also wrote its English lyrics.

Speed Racer - Alpha Team Go Speed Go 90's

Alpha Team - Speed Racer (Music Video)

Speed Racer The Movie (1993) Music Video (VHS Capture)

Alpha Team - Speed (Hardcore) Original 1995 Video Clip

Superstar Dj Keoki - Go Speed Go

Speed Racer Fan Trailer - Alpha Team Re-Mix

Speed Racer (2008) Official Trailer - Emile Hirsch, Susan Sarandon Movie HD

About DJ_RacerX

I'm DJ_RACERX. I have been a professional singer and DJ for many years. I live in Argentina. Here you can find: INDUSTRIAL / DARK ELECTRO / EBM / METAL / ELECTRO BASS / FUTURE POP / ELECTRO GOTH / DARK WAVE / SYNTH POP / DARK POP / HARSH EBM, and more music!!! Come and feel the noise!!!!

THE SILENCE IS MY ENEMY - UNDERGROUND MUSIC:⚡Dark Wave⚡EBM⚡Industrial⚡ Future Pop⚡Dark Electro - Hosted by CLUB MACHINE TEAM

SCHEDULES: TUESDAY & THURSDAY 12 PM ART Argentina⚡11 AM EST/EDT⚡8 AM PST/PDT⚡10 AM CST/CDT⚡5 PM CEST⚡9 AM MT

https://www.twitch.tv/dj_racerx

Hi, I'm DJ Racer X, welcome to my Twitch channel, DJ_RacerX. I'm a singer and singing teacher, I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. As a singer I was part of many Metal bands, I recorded albums, toured my country and some bordering countries. Together with DJ Satyrian I met my other passion, being a professional and independent DJ. Little by little I was perfecting the technique, until I became a professional and independent DJ. I was part of several Online Radios, and I was part of "MACHINE", a live event dedicated to dark underground music and a¨STATIC¨, another event, but dedicated to massive electronic music. In January 2022 I created my own channel, wanting to share a lot of music, to continue growing and expanding my horizons. I invite you to share a lot of music and good vibes.... ¡¡¡¡Come and feel the Noise!!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 12:49:47 AM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 05:09:29 AM »
Wolf's Rain - Official Trailer

Linkin Park - LOST (Wolf's Rain Mashup) AMV

wolf's rain amv - in the end (Linkin Park)

wolf's rain - going under AMV

Wolfs Rain - Tsume finds Kiba (HD)

Wolf's Rain - Opening | stray

Wolfs Rain - Tsume and Kiba fight

wolf's rain howl scenes

Wolf's Rain - Savin' Me (Nickleback)

Wolf's Rain - Bring me to life AMV (Evervescence)

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 12:06:16 AM »
Ninja Kamui Open | adult swim

Ninja Kamui | OFFICIAL TRAILER | Toonami

TRAILER: Ninja Kamui (Japanese with English Subs) | Toonami | adult swim

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 12:09:02 AM »
Metallic Rouge | OFFICIAL TRAILER

Metallic Rouge | MAIN TRAILER

Metallic Rouge | OFFICIAL TRAILER 2

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 06:41:10 AM »
Not Anime or Manga but deserves a mention here..

Alita: Battle Angel | Official Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX

Alita: Battle Angel | Official Trailer – Battle Ready [HD] | 20th Century FOX

Who Is Desty Nova? Explained | Alita: Battle Angel

Alita Battle Angel: The story of the great war, (The Fall).

based on this previous anime movie in 1993

Battle Angel - 1993 Full Movie (Gunnm)

Gunnm - Gally vs Grewcica aka Battle Angel: Alita

Alita: Battle Angel (2019/1993) side-by-side comparison

Alita: Battle Angel's Comic Origins Explained

« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 06:49:49 AM by Administrator »

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 02:18:45 AM »
BUCCHIGIRI?! | OFFICIAL TRAILER

Arajin Tomoshibi’s reunion with his old pal Matakara Asamine takes an unexpected turn when they stumble into a brawl with the toughest guys in town. And just when you thought things couldn’t get weirder, a colossal genie decides to drop in. Brace yourself for the ultimate showdown. It’s the clash of the cool and the magical!

BUCCHIGIRI?! | OFFICIAL TRAILER 2

Offline 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 11:26:20 PM »
Cowboy Bebop (Japanese: カウボーイビバップ, Hepburn: Kaubōi Bibappu) is a Japanese neo-noir space Western anime television series which aired on TV Tokyo and Wowow from 1998 to 1999. It was created and animated by Sunrise, led by a production team of director Shinichirō Watanabe, screenwriter Keiko Nobumoto, character designer Toshihiro Kawamoto, mechanical designer Kimitoshi Yamane, and composer Yoko Kanno, who are collectively billed as Hajime Yatate.

The series, which ran for twenty-six episodes (dubbed "sessions"), is set in the year 2071, and follows the lives of a traveling bounty-hunting crew aboard a spaceship, the Bebop. Although it incorporates a wide variety of genres, the series draws most heavily from science fiction, Western, and noir films. Its most prominent themes are existential boredom, loneliness, and the inability to escape one's past.

The series was dubbed into English by Animaze and ZRO Limit Productions, and was originally licensed in North America by Bandai Entertainment (and is now licensed by Crunchyroll) and in Britain by Beez Entertainment (now by Anime Limited); Madman Entertainment owns the license in Australia and New Zealand. In 2001, it became the first anime title to be broadcast on Adult Swim.

Cowboy Bebop has been hailed as one of the best animated television series of all time. It was a critical and commercial success both in Japanese and international markets, most notably in the United States. It garnered several major anime and science-fiction awards upon its release, and received acclaim from critics and audiences for its style, characters, story, voice acting, animation, and soundtrack. The English dub was particularly lauded and is regarded as one of the best anime English dubs.Credited with helping to introduce anime to a new wave of Western viewers in the early 2000s, Cowboy Bebop has also been called a gateway series for anime as a whole.
(via Wikipedia)

Cowboy Bebop - Opening | Tank!

Cowboy Bebop fight scene

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie | Full Movie | Throwback Toons

Offline 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 11:34:28 PM »
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Japanese: 鋼の錬金術師 FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST, Hepburn: Hagane no Renkinjutsushi) is a Japanese anime television series adapted from the original Fullmetal Alchemist manga series by Hiromu Arakawa. Produced by Bones, the series is directed by Yasuhiro Irie, written by Hiroshi Ōnogi and composed by Akira Senju. The series was conceived in order to create a faithful adaptation that directly follows the entire storyline of the original manga, after 2003's Fullmetal Alchemist anime series strayed away from it to tell its own story after running out of published manga material to adapt.

Production for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood began in 2008. The series was broadcast for sixty-four episodes on MBS–TBS from April 2009 to July 2010. The series was first licensed in North America by Funimation and was broadcast English-dubbed on Adult Swim from February 2010 to September 2011. In 2016, Funimation lost the rights to the series and it was transferred to Aniplex of America.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood received critical acclaim, and is considered to be one of the best anime series of all time. Reviewers noted its faithfulness to the manga and its introduction of characters and plot details that were not present in the 2003 anime; the climactic episodes were also lauded for both their action scenes and moral messages.
(via Wikipedia)

【Fullmetal Alchemist : Brotherhood】Opening 1 Full

fullmetal alchemist brotherhood Mustang vs Envy (english Dub)

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Sacrificing the Truth | ENG

Offline 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 11:36:19 PM »

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2005) Trailer

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2024, 11:43:04 PM »