Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
    • Underground Music Companion
Re: GUNS, GUNS, GUNS, Mass shootings in America
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2022, 01:47:53 AM »
3 people killed in shooting at Maryland business, governor says

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/09/us/maryland-shooting-columbia-machine/index.html

Police are seen at the scene of a shooting in Smithsburg, Maryland.

(CNN)Three people were killed Thursday in a shooting at a manufacturing plant in Smithsburg, Maryland, and a state trooper was shot in the shoulder, according to Gov. Larry Hogan.

"The State Police responded, pursued the suspect, suspect fired and shot the state trooper in the shoulder, who then returned fire and shot him back," Hogan said at a news conference on Covid-19.

A news release from the Washington County Sheriff's Office on Facebook said responding deputies found four victims at the company, three of whom were dead and one who was critically injured. The suspect had left the scene but was tracked down by a Maryland State Police trooper.
"Gunshots were exchanged between the suspect and the Trooper. Both were injured and transported for medical treatment," the release says.

The deadly incident is the 254th mass shooting this year, as the country is on pace to match or surpass last year's total, according to the Gun Violence Archive. It comes as the US House of Representatives have passed several bills aimed at gun reform but the measures have little chance of passing in the Senate.
Washington County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Carly Hose said the suspect was a man, but she didn't yet know other details about the shooting, like whether the shooter was an employee of Columbia Machine.

The shooting happened around 2:30 p.m. ET, authorities said.
Columbia Machine is a manufacturer of concrete products equipment, according to their website.
Smithsburg is about 75 miles west of Baltimore.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives office in Baltimore and the FBI each said agents are assisting the sheriff's office with the incident.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 02:03:17 AM »
Opinion: Here's the reason people tell me they want to buy an AR-15. And it's simply ludicrous

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/05/opinions/guns-ar-15-uvalde-school-shooting-fanone/index.html

(CNN)No weapon has been more in the public eye in America of late than the AR-15, in large part because of its tragic role in some of this country's deadliest shootings.

The AR-15 has the dubious distinction of being America's most popular semi-automatic rifle. I'm more familiar with the gun than most people: I own one. And one thing I know for sure is that this weapon doesn't belong in the hands of the average civilian.

I've owned multiple firearms for most of my life. I spent two decades in the Washington Metropolitan Police Department in a number of different roles, as a street cop walking the beat and on various special mission units.

I'm also a card-carrying member of the National Rifle Association. And when I wasn't at my job doing police work, I worked part-time for several years in firearm sales as well as training law enforcement officers, members of the military and civilians.

I purchased my different guns over the years for the same reason that you might purchase a flathead screwdriver along with a Phillips screwdriver: Each one serves a different purpose. As an avid hunter, I've got a gun that I use for turkey hunting, one that I use for waterfowl and one I use to hunt deer and larger game like elk.

I purchased my AR-15 because I was assigned one as part of my police duties. But officers weren't allowed to take our department-issued weapons home. I felt it was my responsibility to become proficient with any weapon I'd been assigned, so I bought one. And I've spent hundreds of hours training so that I could properly use it.

I've sold guns at big box retailers and I've also sold firearms at a small retail gun store. Some gun buyers have been misled into thinking that the AR-15 is somehow practical for self-defense. But frankly, it's the last gun that I would recommend for that purpose.

Usually, the motivation for purchasing the AR-15 is simple: People want one because they want one. Most times, the person who buys an AR-15 comes into the store already knowing that they intend to purchase one.

I've pressed some customers about why they want an AR-15, but no one could ever come up with a legitimate justification for needing that particular weapon.

Some members of the tinfoil hat brigade have come up with the reply, "We need these weapons because we want to be effective against the government if it becomes tyrannical. That's part of our Second Amendment right." Personally, I think that's ludicrous, but it has become an increasingly popular justification for purchasing a semi-automatic rifle.

The AR-15 was given to law enforcement because more and more frequently police officers were encountering these types of weapons on the street and finding that they were outgunned. One example that springs to mind is the famous 1997 North Hollywood, California, shootout at the Bank of America.

In that incident, two individuals clad in body armor held up a bank in the Los Angeles neighborhood. Police who responded at the scene literally had to run to a nearby gun store to purchase more powerful weapons, because they were using 9 mm pistols, while the bad guys were armed with semi-automatic rifles.

The standoff was one of the most infamous gun battles in American history, with 11 officers wounded -- luckily, none fatally -- and both robbery suspects shot dead. While it's an extreme example, it is in many ways the situation encountered by officers all across this country: Police simply are outgunned against semi- and fully automatic firearms.

The bullet that comes out of the barrel of an AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle can easily penetrate the target -- the intruder or whatever person you are using deadly force to defend yourself or others from.

But it also will go through the wall behind that person, and potentially through that room and into the next wall. That power and accuracy are useful for military purposes, which is obviously what they were designed for. But it's far more power than should ever be in the hands of the average civilian.

The bullet fired by the AR-15 is capable of defeating the average police officer's body armor, like a knife slicing through butter. SWAT teams and some of the more specialized units typically are equipped with level IV Kevlar or steel-plated armor, which would stop maybe two or three direct hits, but eventually body armor breaks down after being hit with multiple rounds.

A person wielding an AR-15 has a range beyond 300 yards. For an officer armed with a 9 mm pistol, hitting a target beyond 50 yards is going to be difficult, even for the most accomplished marksman. A bullet fired by an AR-15 travels at three times the velocity as one fired by a 9 mm handgun. And magazines that can feed dozens of rounds into the weapon in the space of minutes clearly were meant for use only on the battlefield.

The prevalence of these weapons means police sometimes are overmatched, as we saw with the mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, last month. In a situation where you have small children near the shooter, you want to remove the threat as quickly as possible.

But we all saw the tragic consequences at that elementary school, where police waited for more than an hour before engaging with the teenage gunman armed with an AR-15 who killed 19 young children and two teachers.

I have no doubt that police in Uvalde wish they had had weapons as powerful as the one carried by the shooter who snuffed out the lives of the victims in that school. But a far better outcome would have been if the shooter didn't have an AR-15 in the first place.

Now that I'm no longer on the police force, my AR-15 collects dust in my gun safe. Rifle ranges that permit the type of training required to use this weapon system effectively are few and far between and the cost of ammunition exceeding a dollar per round is more than this guy can afford. I no longer need it. But neither, to be honest, do most of the people flocking to guns stores to buy one.

Banning these powerful weapons from the civilian marketplace is a no-brainer, as are universal background checks. Neither move is going to solve all the gun problems that we have, but it would be a start.

And outlawing these AR-15s would not require confiscating them from people who already have them. Once you've made these weapons illegal, anyone found with one would be subject to arrest, since possession of these weapons would be a crime. I think it's likely that you would see a lot of people opting to turn them in.

If banning them outright seems like too extreme a solution to be politically palatable, here's another option: Reclassify semi-automatic rifles as Class 3 firearms.

That would mean that someone wanting to purchase an AR-15 would have to go through a background check, fingerprinting and review by an official from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives -- a process that takes anywhere from 12 to 16 months. And since Class 3 weapons can't be purchased by anyone younger than 21, it would solve the issue of emotionally unstable 18-year-olds buying them.

A Class 3 firearm reclassification would also make those who are approved to purchase these weapons subject to an annual check that they are complying with federal regulations regarding secure storage of the firearm, and to confirm their licensing and other paperwork is up to date. All of these hoops and hurdles are sure to reduce the civilian demand for these weapons.

I can't overstate how dangerous it is to have semi-automatic weapons like the AR-15 in the hands of civilians. Our public officials have it within their power to help make it harder for people who shouldn't have these weapons to get them.

A police officer should never have to worry about being outgunned by the bad guy they're protecting the public against.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 08:48:12 PM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2022, 09:43:43 PM »
America’s gun exceptionalism, by the numbers

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/25/american-gun-exceptionalism/

From 2016 to 2020, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) determined that gun manufacturers had produced 24.6 million handguns, 14.3 million rifles and 7.9 million other firearms, including shotguns. That’s up substantially from the period from 2007 to 2011.

At the same time, more guns are being purchased. The best long-term metric for this is FBI background-check data, tracking purchases by revealing how often gun sellers conduct background checks on buyers. This is not a perfect metric, given that some states require regular background checks for gun owners. But you can see that the number of monthly background checks has steadily risen over time.

There are a lot of cultural phenomena hinted at in the graph above: The surge in sales at the end of the year as people buy firearms as Christmas gifts. The increase in sales as Barack Obama took office and people feared new gun legislation. The even larger increase starting in 2013 as the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School sparked a similar concern. (In retrospect, there was no need to worry about new gun legislation.) Then the big surge in 2020, a function of the pandemic and, by the middle of the year, national protests over racial justice. That increase carried into 2021, with a Democratic president and the violence at the Capitol that January.

If we adjust both of those metrics for population, you can see the gun industry’s footprint. In 2020, there were 333 guns manufactured and 737 background checks conducted for every 10,000 Americans.

In the aftermath of the shooting in Texas, the question of legislation again arises. Data from ATF offers one way of thinking about the effectiveness of limits on gun ownership. In states with higher grades from the Giffords Law Center — an advocacy organization for new gun laws — guns recovered at crime scenes and traced by ATF were much less likely to originate in-state.

In other words, states with stricter gun laws are more likely to see guns used for criminal activity originating in states with looser laws.

As you can see, most states get low grades from the Giffords Center. Guns are readily available in the United States, and there’s a powerful lobby that provides a legislative backstop to the sharply politicized cultural fight over gun ownership. That’s true at both the state and federal levels.

The result is that there are lots of guns in the United States and lots of Americans who have guns. In 2017, data from Pew Research Center determined that, while most Americans own no guns, the 3 in 10 Americans who do often own more than one. About 1 in 11 Americans own at least five guns.

This is exceptional.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 09:53:41 PM »
Opinion  Distinguished pol of the week: He called out one of the GOP’s dumbest ideas on guns

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/12/miguel-cardona-calls-out-republican-dumb-ideas-guns-arming-teachers/

If only Republicans could summon the same anger they displayed over the utterly unacceptable attempt to kill Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh for the deaths of 19 children and two teachers in Uvalde, Tex. Or the 10 killed in Buffalo. Or the victims of the more than 200 mass killings committed just this year.

Rather than pass common-sense gun laws — such as raising the age to buy an assault weapon (supported by 74 percent of voters, including 59 percent of Republicans, according to the latest Quinnipiac University poll); or universal background checks (supported by 92 percent of Americans); or red-flag laws (supported by 83 percent) — Republicans have tossed out one inane line after another. Perhaps the dopiest line came from House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.), who made the point that the United States did not ban planes after 9/11. (Okay, but we wouldn’t we all be safer if gun owners were licensed like pilots?)

It seems the GOP’s favorite dodge is proposing we sell and distribute more guns — to teachers. For the best refutation of that “idea,” turn to Education Secretary Miguel Cardona.

“Those are some of the stupidest proposals I’ve heard in all my time as an educator,” he said on “The View” on Thursday. “Listen, we need to make sure we’re doing sensible legislation, making sure our schoolhouses are safe as much as possible.” He then mused about how arming grade-school teachers would work in practice. “What happens when a teacher goes out on maternity leave? Are we going to give the substitute of the day a gun?” Hmm.

In fact, a lot of questions come with such a plan. For example:

- Should teachers sport their AR-15s when they have bus duty or lunchtime duty?
- Where do they store these weapons of war? In a locked case?
- Should the gun be loaded and ready to fire?
- How could a civilian teacher access a secured gun quickly enough to take down an armed murderer?
- If you are going to arm teachers, should we outlaw the body armor that many shooters wear?
- Since 18-years-olds should be able to buy AR-15s, according to Republican lawmakers, why shouldn’t they be armed in high schools?
- Trained police officers do not always enter schools to confront gunmen, as we have learned in the Uvalde shooting. But teachers will?
- Should teachers leave their kids unprotected to track the killer through the halls? What if there is more than one assailant?

If you think Republican lawmakers have thought through these questions and dozens of other logical problems with giving teachers weapons of war, you are sadly mistaken. I sincerely doubt Republicans actually want to put firearms in the hands of teachers; after all, these are the same people who they believe are indoctrinating kids on critical race theory and “grooming” them for homosexuality.

Arming teachers, like so many other dimwitted right-wing ideas, is simply an excuse to not do anything meaningful to reduce the number and lethality of gun massacres. Interviewers rarely press Republicans to explain their bad-faith arguments. Instead, the media often treat ridiculous ideas respectfully and move on without follow-up questions. Perhaps TV hosts should start inviting these Republicans to discuss their ideas at length.

Until Republicans are forced to confess that their ideas would be impossible to implement, they’ll keep changing the subject and deflecting demands for gun legislation. For skewering Republican gun fetishizers and demonstrating how we should strip away the pretense that Republicans are engaged in good-faith problem-solving, we can say well done, Secretary Cardona.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2022, 10:16:13 PM »
Opinion  6 solutions to gun violence that could work

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/02/gun-control-solutions-that-work/

This article was originally published in 2018 and has been updated.

For far too long, those who oppose gun reforms have said that nothing can be done to stem the violence.

Those claims are demonstrably wrong. Research on gun violence is notoriously underfunded, but the data we do have shows that well-designed gun laws informed by science can save lives.

Ban weapons of war

The Las Vegas massacre. The killing spree at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando. The movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colo. The Virginia Tech slaughter. The massacre at a Walmart in El Paso.

These are the five highest-casualty (deaths and injuries combined) mass shootings in modern American history. And what did they all have in common? Semiautomatic weapons that allowed the shooter to fire rounds into crowds without reloading.

Based on the evidence we have, banning these weapons probably won’t do too much to curb overall gun deaths. We know this because in 1994, Congress passed legislation to outlaw the sale of certain types of semiautomatic guns and large-capacity magazines, and the effect was unimpressive. Gun homicide rates declined during the ban, but they also continued to fall after the ban expired in 2004. One federally funded study of the ban found that the effect on violence was insignificant, partly because it was full of loopholes.

But banning so-called assault weapons was never meant to reduce overall gun deaths. It was meant to make America’s frustratingly common mass shootings less deadly — even if these horrific events represent a small portion of gun violence.

And, in fact, mass shooting casualties dipped during the ban, although a review of studies by the Rand Corporation found the role the ban played in the dip to be inconclusive.

Here’s what is certain from the research: Semiautomatic weapons and weapons with high-capacity magazines are more dangerous than other weapons. One study on handgun attacks in New Jersey in the 1990s showed that gunfire incidents involving semiautomatic weapons wounded 15 percent more people than shootings with other weapons. A more recent study from Minneapolis found that shootings with more than 10 shots fired accounted for between 20 and 28 percent of gun victims in the city.

So how do we keep such dangerous weapons from being used in crimes? A ban on assault weapons might help, as data from a few cities during the 1994 ban suggest:

But experts say focusing on reducing large-capacity magazines might be more effective. Simply put, gunmen are less deadly when they have to reload.

Such a ban might take time to have an effect, as a 2003 Post investigation showed. But it would be worth it. Alarmingly, crime data suggests that crimes committed with high-powered weapons have been on the rise since the 1994 ban ended.

Again, mass shootings account for a small fraction of gun deaths, so any ban on these weapons and magazines would result in marginal improvements, at best. But even if this step reduced shootings by 1 percent — far less than what the Minneapolis study suggests — that would mean 650 fewer people shot a year. Isn’t that worth it?

Keep guns away from kids

Occasionally, gun-reform advocates call for raising the federal age limit for purchasing semiautomatic weapons to 21, as is already required for handguns. But why stop there? Why not raise the age for all guns, including non-automatic rifles and shotguns?

This could make a real difference because young people are far more likely to commit homicide than older cohorts. One survey of prison inmates looked at those convicted of using a legally owned gun to commit a crime and found that a minimum age requirement of 21 would have prohibited gun possession in 17 percent of cases.

Of course, keeping guns out of the hands of young shooters would be difficult, because it’s so easy for people to obtain guns illegally. But age limits in general have proved to be effective in limiting bad behavior, so it’s worth trying.

There’s another reform that could be even more effective at keeping guns from kids: requiring gun owners to securely store firearms in a locked container or with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock.

Nearly 4.6 million minors in the United States live in homes where firearms are loaded and easy to access. One analysis from the federal government shows that 76 percent of school shooters obtain a gun from their homes or the homes of relatives. The same is true for more than 80 percent of teens who take their own lives with a firearm.

Safe-storage laws can help, especially with suicides. In Massachusetts, which has the strictest storage laws in the country, guns are used in just 12 percent of youth suicides, compared with 43 percent nationally. The suicide death rate among youth in the state is nearly half the national average.

In fact, states requiring locks on handguns in at least some circumstances have 25 percent fewer suicides per capita and 48 percent fewer firearm suicides per capita than states without such laws.

Meanwhile, another safety innovation is being developed: smart guns. These are guns that use fingerprint recognition and other means so that only their owners can fire them. The technology is still relatively new, but it’s promising. One small study found that over seven years, 37 percent of gun deaths could have been prevented by smart guns. Lawmakers could encourage their use by incorporating them into laws regulating safe storage.

Stop the flow of guns

A general rule: The more guns there are, the more gun deaths there will be. It holds across countries (note how much the United States stands out):

And across states. One 2013 study from Boston University found that for every percentage point increase in gun ownership at the state level, there was a 0.9 percent rise in the firearm homicide rate.

So how do we reduce the steady flow of guns? Three ideas:

Institute a buyback program

In the 1990s, Australia spent $500 million to buy back almost 600,000 guns. Harvard University researchers found that the gun homicide rate dropped 42 percent in the seven years following the law and the gun suicide rate fell 58 percent.

An Australian study found that for every 3,500 guns withdrawn per 100,000 people, the country saw a 74 percent drop in gun suicides and a reduction in mass shootings. That doesn’t prove causation. But the likelihood the drop in mass shootings was due to chance? Roughly 1 in 20,000, according to a 2018 paper.

Of course, the United States is different from Australia. The Australian buyback was mandatory, which would probably run into constitutional problems here. Plus, we have way more guns per capita, so the United States would have to spend exponentially more to make a significant difference.

Still, given Australia’s experience, it’s worth at least experimentation. Perhaps the government can use buyback programs to target specific kinds of weapons, such as semiautomatic firearms and large-capacity magazines.

Limit the number of guns people can buy at one time

Federal gun enforcers have long warned that state laws allowing bulk purchases of guns enable crime. Older studies from what is now called the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives show that as many as 1 in 5 handguns recovered in a crime were originally purchased as part of a sale in which multiple guns were purchased.

To combat this behavior, some states have instituted “one handgun a month” policies, as Virginia did in 1993. At the time, Virginia was the top supplier of guns seized in the Northeast; three years later, the state dropped to eighth place. The law also led to a 35 percent reduction in guns recovered anywhere in the United States that were traced back to Virginia.

Such a policy isn’t going to solve gun trafficking. The Virginia law didn’t prevent “straw purchases” in which traffickers pay people to buy guns legally so they can be sold elsewhere. But experts say one-gun-a-month laws make it more costly for criminals to traffic guns. And given the success in the past, such policies are worth promoting.

Hold gun dealers accountable

Research has shown that in some cities, guns used to commit crimes often come from a small set of gun dealers. So how do we stop the flow of those guns? Hold dealers accountable.

In 1999, the federal government published a report identifying gun shops connected with crime guns, including a single dealer in Milwaukee that was linked to a majority of the guns used in the city’s crimes. In response to negative publicity, that dealer changed its sales practices. Afterward, the city saw a 76 percent reduction in the flow of new guns from that shop to criminals and a 44 percent reduction in new crime guns overall. But in 2003, Congress passed a law prohibiting the government from publishing such data, after which the rate of new gun sales from that dealer to criminals shot up 200 percent.

Studies show that regulation of licensed dealers — such as record-keeping requirements or inspection mandates — can also reduce interstate trafficking. So can litigation against gun dealers that allow their guns to enter criminal markets. One sting operation conducted by New York City reduced the probability of guns from the targeted dealers ending up in the hands of criminals by 84 percent.

Strengthen background checks

Federal law requires background checks to obtain a gun, but those checks are extremely porous.

Under federal law, only licensed gun dealers have to perform these checks; private individuals and many online retailers don’t. It’s hard to pin down exactly how many guns are legally acquired without a background check, but some surveys put it upward of 22 percent.

Some states go beyond federal law and require background checks for all gun sales. But since it’s so easy for guns to travel across state lines, it’s hard to judge the effectiveness of these policies on gun deaths.

Still, there’s evidence that such expanded background checks can help limit the flow of guns into illegal markets. We also know that most gun offenders obtain their weapons through unlicensed sellers. One survey of state prison inmates convicted of offenses committed with guns in 13 states found that only 13 percent obtained their guns from a seller that had to conduct a background check. Nearly all those who were supposed to be prohibited from possessing a firearm got theirs from suppliers that didn’t have to conduct a background check. Closing that loophole federally might help.

What else can we do to strengthen background checks? Four possibilities:

Close the “Charleston Loophole”

Most gun background checks are instant. But some — around 9 percent — take more time, and federal law says if a check takes more than three business days, the sale can proceed. As a result, thousands of people who are not supposed have access to guns ended up getting them, as the Government Accountability Office reported.

Among the people who benefited from this loophole? Dylann Roof, who killed nine people in Charleston, S.C., in 2015. Ending this practice would save lives.

Close the “Boyfriend Gap”

An estimated 70 women each month are killed with guns by spouses or dating partners, according to a 2019 analysis of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data by Everytown for Gun Safety.

Federal law prevents anyone with domestic violence misdemeanors from having a gun, but that law is defined narrowly and doesn’t include all domestic violence perpetrators — for example, boyfriends. More specifically, the law doesn’t keep guns from abusers who are not married, do not live with their partner or do not share a child with them.

Some states have expanded on federal law — and it works. One study found that rates of domestic-violence-related homicide decline 7 percent after a state passes such laws.

Implement waiting periods

The evidence that waiting periods to acquire guns reduce violent crime is limited. But there’s more evidence that they prevent suicides.

Research shows that people who buy handguns are at higher risk of suicide within a week of the purchase, and that waiting periods can keep them from using guns to harm themselves. In fact, one study found that when South Dakota repealed its 48-hour waiting period in 2012, suicides jumped 7.6 percent in the following year.

Improve reporting on mental health

Mental illness is associated with a relatively small portion (around 5 percent) of gun homicides. Federal law already prohibits anyone committed to a mental-health facility or deemed dangerous or lacking all mental capacities through a legal proceeding from having a gun.

But mental-health records are notoriously spotty. There’s limited evidence that improved reporting at the state level might reduce violent crimes. Connecticut started reporting mental-health data to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System in 2007, and one study found that violent crimes committed by people with mental illness there significantly decreased.

We can also make it easier for family members to seek court orders to disarm relatives who might do harm to themselves. In Connecticut, which has allowed this since 1999, one study estimated that the law averted 72 suicide attempts through 2013 from being fatal.

Strengthen red-flag laws

As much as strengthened background checks might prevent someone from purchasing new firearms, the problem remains that many guns are already in the hands of people who pose a threat to themselves or others.

How to address that? One solution: red-flag laws.

Such laws, which have repeatedly been held constitutional, allow people to petition a court to temporarily confiscate firearms from people who pose a threat to themselves or others. And they work.

California has one of the most expansive red-flag laws in the country, allowing anyone to petition for a court order to take guns from a high-risk individual. There is concrete data to show it is effective: One case study from 2019 found that the law averted at least 21 potential mass shootings, based on credible threats.

And it’s not just mass shootings. Studies have consistently found that these laws help avert suicides. One study from Indiana found that for every 10 to 20 gun-removal orders, one suicide was averted. Another study found Indiana saw a 7.5 percent reduction in its firearm suicides rate in the 10 years after its red-flag law became took effect. Connecticut, in the same study, saw its rate fall 14 percent.

These laws won’t catch every mass shooter or prevent every suicide. They are fundamentally limited by how many people know to use them. But implemented properly, they could do some real good. A 2019 analysis from the U.S. Secret Service found that in 77 percent of school shootings, at least one person knew of the perpetrator’s troubling behavior before the attack.

Treat guns like we treat cars

Consider two data points: first in Connecticut, then in Missouri.

In Connecticut, state lawmakers required people to get a license and safety training for a gun, just as we do for cars. In the decade after, it saw a drop in both gun homicides and suicides — at faster rates than other states without similar laws. And at the same time, Connecticut saw no significant drop in homicides not related to guns.

In Missouri, the state legislature repealed its licensing requirements in 2007.

A study found that the law change was associated with an additional 55 to 63 homicides in each of the five years following the repeal — even as homicides committed without guns dropped.

In both cases, it’s hard to prove a connection. But these experiences do strongly suggest something we learned in our decades-long efforts to reduce vehicle-related deaths: Regulation saves lives.

It can also deter crime. Research from the advocacy group Mayors Against Illegal Guns has found that guns sold in states with licensing laws — which are sometimes paired with mandatory registration of guns with local police — end up being exported for criminal activity at one-third the rate of states without the laws.

Why? Because it’s much harder to feed guns into illegal markets if police can trace them to their legal gun owners. After Missouri repealed its licensing laws, police in Iowa and Illinois started reporting an increase in Missouri guns showing up at crime scenes.

None of these reforms alone will stop our gun epidemic. But together, they can make a serious impact that will save lives. The only thing stopping that from happening is a lack of political will.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2022, 07:30:59 PM »
Gunman at large after killing at least six in July 4 parade

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/04/highland-park-parade-shooting/

HIGHLAND PARK, Ill. — At least six people were dead, 31 were hospitalized and a gunman was at large Monday afternoon after shooting Fourth of July paradegoers from a roof in this Chicago suburb, authorities said.

Video from the scene appeared to show blood pooled on the sidewalk and police talking to people in downtown Highland Park. Others showed the chaos while loud bangs could be heard on the downtown street where chairs, toys and blankets were strewn.

Authorities at a news conference said at least six were confirmed dead. Police are searching for the gunman, and the city advised residents to shelter in place as it remains an “active incident,” the website said. An area medical system said it was treating 31 people at two hospitals.

Highland Park is an affluent Chicago suburb about 25 miles north of the city’s downtown, along the shore of Lake Michigan.

Here’s what else you need to know

Police are searching for a White man, about 18 to 20 years old with a small build, long black hair and a white or blue T-shirt. Police recovered a firearm at the scene. The FBI has asked people to send tips and videos of the shooting to 1-800-CALL-FBI.

Authorities in Highland Park and other area cities canceled their Fourth of July events in response to the shooting.

Shots ‘sounded like a howitzer,’ witness says

David Baum, an OB/GYN at Northwestern Memorial in Chicago, was at the Highland Park parade with his three children and grandson, who had walked in the children’s parade about 30 minutes before the main event started.

He said the shooting appeared to come from the top of an apartment building on 2nd Street. The bangs “sounded like a howitzer” aimed at “sitting targets,” he said.

Baum said it appeared people on the sidewalk were targeted, as opposed to those marching in the parade.

After shooting stopped, Baum said, people “ran for their lives.”

There were bodies down and people screaming. Those who could help, many of them nurses and doctors, were applying pressure and tourniquets to the wounded. Paramedics, Baum said, evaluated some of the injured and quickly determined that they were dead.

“Those bullets eviscerated people,” Baum said, adding there “was blood everywhere.”

Baum said the shooter appeared to be using an automatic weapon.

“I am an OB/GYN, not an ER doctor. … The injuries were horrific,” he said.

Baum said that if he had been 200 feet down the block, he probably would have been shot.

After everyone scattered, there were no bodies or injured people on the street — only on the sidewalk in front of the storefronts.

Government leaders express sadness and condolences

As local, state and federal law enforcement officers continue a manhunt for the gunman who fatally shot at least six people and wounded more than two dozen in Highland Park, elected officials are expressing their sorrow and offering assistance.

Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) called the mass shooting “absolutely terrifying.”

“Families from all over seek out this time-honored tradition on Fourth of July — and today, many found themselves running for their lives,” she said. “Every community deserves to be safe from senseless gun violence.”

Fellow Sen. Dick Durban (D-Ill.) said his office is closely monitoring unfolding events after the act of “senseless violence.”

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot (D) said she has been in touch with Highland Park Mayor Nancy Rotering (D) and has offered support. Lightfoot encouraged the public to report any information they know about the shooting to authorities.

U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider (D), who represents Illinois’s 10th district that includes Highland Park, was at the parade with his campaign team when gunshots erupted.

Americans should be free to attend parades without threat of gun violence, according to U.S. Rep. Robin L. Kelly (D-Ill.).

“In Highland Park, gun violence struck and traumatized a community,” she said, sending condolences to those affected.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) offered a more somber and direct depiction of the tragedy in a statement, asking citizens to pray for the families and law enforcement officials trying to help.

“There are no words for the kind of monster who lies in wait and fires into a crowd of families with children celebrating a holiday with their community,” he said, pledging to end gun violence in Illinois. “But grief will not bring the victims back, and prayers alone will not put a stop to the terror of rampant gun violence in our country.”

Hundreds of officers search Highland Park area for gunman

Hundreds of police officers from dozens of agencies — state, federal, county and municipal — are flooding the area around Highland Park searching for a shooter who killed at least six people and injured more than two dozen at the city’s Independence Day parade Monday morning,

SWAT teams are going door to door, and the FBI is assisting at the shooting scene, Christopher Covelli, spokesman for the Lake County Major Crimes Task Force, said at a news conference.

More than 100 police departments in the Chicago suburbs, including Highland Park’s, are part of a mutual aid coalition called the Northern Illinois Police Alarm System, which provides SWAT services to the cities.

The Highland Park Police Department, which has 56 officers, is leading the investigation and apprehension efforts, Covelli said.

The Chicago Police Department said on Twitter that its helicopter is assisting in the search for the shooter.

Highland Park, a quiet Chicago suburb, struck by gunfire

Highland Park, an affluent suburb about 25 miles north of downtown Chicago, was rocked Monday by gunfire, unusual for the quiet neighborhood, according to residents.

The suburb along Lake Michigan is home to just 30,000 people, including a sizable Jewish, non-Orthodox population.

“It’s a very low-crime, very affluent area,” said Larry Bloom, a 54-year-old resident. Bloom, who is Jewish, recalled a few incidents of antisemitism, but no attack like this.

The suburb’s Americana look has made it the scene of several major movies, including “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “Risky Business” and “Home Alone.”

But on Monday, chairs and personal belongings were strewn along the ground, reminiscent of the aftermath of last year’s Christmas parade attack in Waukesha, Wis., in which a driver killed six people.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 07:42:55 PM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2022, 09:32:52 PM »
U.S. Mass Shootings Hover Near Record-Breaking Levels

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2022/07/04/us-mass-shootings-hover-near-record-breaking-levels/?sh=3e6d9e135f62

TOPLINE Six months into this year—and on a day when gunfire killed at least six attending a Chicago area holiday parade—mass shootings and gun deaths in the United States rival 2021’s record-breaking figures, as a wave of gun violence that began at the start of the pandemic continues to rage—though a Covid-era jump in firearm sales finally began leveling off.

KEY FACTS
The United States logged 306 mass shootings with at least four injuries or deaths from the start of this year to Sunday, compared to 327 mass shootings over the same period in 2021 and 256 in 2020, according to the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive.

Mass shootings this year are on track to approach the 692 recorded in 2021, which was the highest figure since the Gun Violence Archive started tracking shootings in 2014.

Some 10,072 people nationwide have died due to firearms—including intentional and accidental killings but not suicides—so far in 2022, according to the Gun Violence Archive, meaning this year’s overall figure could near 2021’s 20,944 deaths (a seven-year high) and exceed 2020’s 19,518 deaths if the current pace continues.

Meanwhile, gun sales have begun easing: U.S. dealers sold about 8.8 million guns in the first six months of this year, a 16% drop from the same period in 2021 and a 21% drop from 2020, when a public health crisis and an election helped push sales to record levels, according to Small Arms Analytics & Forecasting.

Firearm sales are still well above pre-pandemic levels: Purchases in the first half of this year are up 33% from 2019 and up 27% from 2018, according to figures from Small Arms Analytics, which estimates gun sales using FBI background check data.

NEWS PEG
On Monday, six people were killed and two dozen were brought to hospitals in a shooting at a Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, Illinois, the latest U.S. mass shooting.

KEY BACKGROUND
Gun violence soared after Covid-19 reached the United States in early 2020. In the first year of the pandemic, the nationwide gun violence rate jumped 30% compared to the prior 12 months, one peer-reviewed study found last year. In the nation’s largest cities, homicides and other types of violent crime also jumped in 2020 and continued to rise last year, according to the Major Cities Chiefs Association. Some researchers have blamed this jarring trend partly on the economic and psychological stresses wrought by the coronavirus pandemic. Similarly, gun industry experts think firearm sales initially jumped in early 2020 because the pandemic caused many people to fear for their safety, and remained high through a summer of tense protests and a dramatic presidential race (gun sales often spike around elections, especially if gun enthusiasts think pro-gun control politicians will win).

WHAT WE DON’T KNOW
The exact relationship between violence and gun sales is unclear, though some research suggests places with more firearms tend to have more gun violence. Some gun control advocates warn spiking sales could mean more firearms are owned by inexperienced people who are unfamiliar with the risks. However, gun control opponents think the rise in violence has led to a jump in firearm sales, not the other way around, often pointing to statistics showing many crimes are committed with illegal guns that were initially sold years earlier.

TANGENT
A wave of high-profile mass shootings this year—including a supermarket shooting that killed 10 in Buffalo and a school shooting that killed 21 in Texas—spurred lawmakers to pass one of the most significant federal gun laws in decades last month. Signed by President Joe Biden, the bipartisan law boosts background checks for people ages 18 to 20, prevents convicted domestic abusers from buying firearms and encourages states to pass red-flag laws that let judges take away guns from people deemed a risk to themselves or others. The package falls well short of Democrats’ goals: It doesn’t ban assault weapons or high-capacity magazines, mandate background checks or raise the age to buy a semiautomatic rifle.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2022, 06:43:28 AM »
The staggering scope of U.S. gun deaths goes far beyond mass shootings

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2022/gun-deaths-per-year-usa/?itid=hp-top-table-main

The spate of shooting attacks in communities such as Highland Park, Ill.; Uvalde, Tex.; and Buffalo has riveted attention on America’s staggering number of public mass killings. But the rising number of gun deaths in the United States extends beyond such high-profile episodes, emerging nearly every day inside homes, outside bars and on the streets of many cities, according to federal data.

The surge in gun violence comes as firearm purchases rose to record levels in 2020 and 2021, with more than 43 million guns estimated to have been purchased during that period, according to a Washington Post analysis of federal data on gun background checks. At the same time, the rate of gun deaths in those years hit the highest level since 1995, with more than 45,000 fatalities each year.

Guns account for most suicides and are almost entirely responsible for an overall rise in homicides across the country from 2018 to 2021, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Over the long holiday weekend, when seven people were killed and dozens wounded at a Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, numerous other fatal shootings played out across the country. In nearby Chicago, 10 people were killed and more than 60 wounded in a string of shootings over the weekend. One person was killed and four wounded in a shooting outside a Sacramento nightclub. Two people were shot to death at a home in Haltom City, Tex., and a neighbor and three police officers were injured. A man was fatally shot in Clinton, N.C.; hours later, six people, including two children, were injured in a separate shooting there.

There is not one clear answer as to what is driving the rise in bloodshed, experts said, but possible factors include the stress of the coronavirus pandemic, fraying ties between the police and the public, mounting anger, worsening mental strain and the sheer number of guns in America.

“You put all that into a pressure cooker,” said Alex Piquero, a criminologist at the University of Miami, “and you let the pressure cooker blow up.”

Local leaders, law enforcement officials and anti-violence workers say they have seen a worrisome trend recently, in which disputes that would have previously led to fistfights instead escalated rapidly to gunfire.

“What we’re seeing is a different type of violence here in Pittsburgh,” said the Rev. Eileen Smith, executive director of the South Pittsburgh Coalition for Peace, a nonprofit that includes violence interrupters. “They’re not fighting, at least not outside of school. They’re killing.”

The ample access to guns plays a significant role, experts said. Americans are arming themselves in the face of deepening fears and divisions, frightening public incidents involving gunfire or violence, or simply because they know others may also have guns.

Data shows that gun sales increase in the wake of violence, political events and uncertainty. Large spikes occurred after the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting; amid coronavirus shutdowns, racial justice protests and the presidential election in 2020; and after the Jan. 6, 2021, siege of the U.S. Capitol.

With an estimated 400 million guns in the country, a figure that eclipses the U.S. population, “there is a self-fulfilling prophecy of, ‘I need a gun because everyone else around me has a gun,’” said Sasha Cotton, director of the Minneapolis Office of Violence Prevention.

The agonizing frequency of nonfatal shootings and firearm deaths, experts said, has become a uniquely American phenomenon.

“Many other countries have disadvantaged folks who are angry and alienated,” said Richard Berk, a professor emeritus of criminology and statistics at the University of Pennsylvania. “But guns aren’t there.”

The massive toll of gun deaths

Mass killings, particularly those in which a gunman opens fire in a crowded public space, tend to draw much more attention than daily violence. But these shootings represent a fraction of gun violence overall, said Jillian Peterson, an associate professor of criminology and criminal justice at Hamline University and co-founder of the Violence Project, which studies mass killers.

Defining a mass shooting as four or more people killed, Peterson said, such cases account for fewer than 1 percent of all people killed by firearms. They are “very rare, still, even though they’re increasing,” she said. But, Peterson said, it’s not an accident that they receive so much more attention.

“Mass shootings, by design, [are] meant to go viral in that sense. That’s the goal of them, is fame, is notoriety,” she said. And these public mass shootings have a “psychological impact” on people, instilling fear of going to the movies or a grocery store, she said.

Monday’s rampage in Illinois marked the 15th time this year that four or more people were killed in a shooting, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit that maintains a database of incidents of gun violence.

The vast majority of gun deaths in America are either suicides or homicides, according to federal data, with accidental or undetermined gun deaths representing a small fraction of the overall share.

Two different demographic groups bear the brunt of escalating gun violence and are most likely to die of a gunshot wound in America: young Black men and older White men.

White men are six times as likely to die by suicide as other Americans. Black men are 17 times as likely to be killed with a gun fired by someone else.

About 60 percent of the gun deaths in the United States each year are suicides, according to CDC data spanning the past 20 years.

Firearms accounted for about 8 percent of suicide attempts but slightly more than 50 percent of the 47,511 suicide deaths in 2019, according to the American Association of Suicidology. Men are nearly four times as likely as women to succeed in a suicide attempt, mainly because they are much more likely to use a gun.

Of the 90,498 gun deaths in 2020 and 2021, 38,796 were homicides. Nearly 21,000 of those victims were Black men.

Cotton, in Minneapolis, said the higher homicide toll among Black people brought to mind the saying: When America gets a cold, Black America gets the flu.

“Of course it’s worse,” she said. “Covid was worse for us. Gun violence is worse for us. And the trickle-down effect will continue to be worse for us, until there’s equity in our systems and in our society.”

Data show gun deaths surged almost everywhere in America in 2020, “a very broad phenomenon” and one that “was almost as intense outside of metro areas as it was inside of metropolitan areas,” said Philip J. Cook, a Duke University professor emeritus of public policy and economics.

In 2020, while the overall crime rate nationwide fell, “that was not true for shootings,” Cook said. That year, he said, there was an “unparalleled” surge in people killed by firearms compared with 2019.

Some states, including New Jersey, have tightened gun laws in recent weeks, in response to recent shootings and a Supreme Court decision that expanded gun-carry rights outside the home. At the federal level, Congress last month approved, and President Biden signed, gun-control legislation that provides funding for mental health services and school security initiatives and expands criminal background checks for some gun buyers.

The surge is clear, but the reasons less so

Determining the precise number of guns sold in America each year is difficult. The data does not capture weapon sales from private sellers at gun shows or online marketplaces because the law does not require them to submit background checks. Firearm sales estimates are based on methodology applied to FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System data surveying handgun, long-gun and multiple-gun background checks leading to purchases.

There is little consensus as to why gun sales and deaths have jumped so much over the past two years. The only clear thing, Cook said, is that “the increase in homicide was almost entirely an increase in gun homicide.” Beyond that, it is difficult to parse all the things happening at once. Even the theories that have been floated about the rise in violence have weaknesses, experts said, adding that there is a lack of good research about what is driving the increase.

Some experts theorize that the pandemic helped drive the surge in killings. But gun deaths started rising in 2015 before spiking five years later, said Andrew Morral, a behavioral scientist at the Rand Corp. and leader of its Gun Policy in America initiative.

The rise in gun sales, he said, might also play a role. “But the real question in my mind is, is that the key driver? Does that explain a lot of the jump or a little of the jump?” he said. “And I don’t know.”

Homicide rates remained low for more than two decades before 2015, “even as the number of guns in circulation was increasing,” Morral said. If the gun sales drove the spike, why did that not happen over those decades?

Morral said one theory — claiming that police pulled back in response to racial justice protests and calls to cut funding in 2020 — has problems because the surge in violence happened across the board, in urban areas and rural ones, in blue cities and red. American policing is decentralized, with some 15,000 local departments and sheriff’s offices, most of them employing no more than two dozen officers.

Morral said there is some evidence of police pulling back, but that “making the link from de-policing to homicides is a big jump.” To grow “beyond anecdote,” he said, more research is needed.

“There’s certainly people who will claim it’s not mysterious and point at one thing or another,” said Berk, the University of Pennsylvania professor emeritus. “But I haven’t heard a coherent narrative which integrates all the pieces. And I’m not sure we’ll ever have one.”

Cook, the Duke University professor emeritus, said increased efforts to solve shootings could help get a handle on the surge in violence, even if its precise drivers are unknown. Police nationwide in 2020 “cleared” about half of all homicides, according to the FBI, which usually means that someone was arrested and charged or the case was closed another way, including the death of the attacker.

Solving more shootings, particularly nonfatal ones, “would interrupt the cycle of retaliation,” Cook said, and might improve local trust in the police. “That would be a productive use of money,” he said.

It is also difficult to determine exactly who will commit gun violence, though research shows that politicians and others may be focusing too much attention on one factor, particularly when it comes to mass shootings.

A persistent refrain

In the wake of mass shootings, politicians are often quick to invoke mental health.

“Anybody who shoots somebody else has a mental health challenge. Period,” Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) said shortly after the Uvalde shooting in May.

But three decades of research has established that people with mental illness are responsible for just a small percentage of interpersonal and gun violence.

Numerous studies have reached the same conclusion: While people with illnesses such as schizophrenia have a somewhat greater risk of committing violent acts than other members of the public, and substance use increases that risk, the vast majority of people with mental illness never perpetrate violence. In fact, they are more likely to be victims of violence.

There is one major, well-established connection between mental illness and gun violence: suicide. A Rand report summarizing other studies found higher rates of suicide among people with mental health issues that included depression and schizophrenia.

It’s clear that many other factors are more closely associated with gun violence than mental illness. They include experiencing trauma and violence during childhood, being young and male, living in neighborhoods where violence is more prevalent, poor impulse control, poor anger control, and perhaps most of all, easy access to a firearm.

“To think we’re going to lower population-level violence rates by better treatment of mental illness, we’re not going to get there doing that,” said Daniel Webster, who studies gun violence policy at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Instead, he said, officials must help create environments where there is less trauma in the home, support families and strengthen services for children in schools.

In 1994, Duke University gun violence researcher Jeffrey W. Swanson calculated that if all active psychotic and mood disorders were eliminated overnight, interpersonal violence would be reduced by just 4 percent. In many other countries, guns are tightly restricted, but the United States has taken a different route, he said.

“We don’t have gun control as much as we have people control,” he said. “We try to figure out the people who are so dangerous that we have to limit their access to guns.”

The 1998 MacArthur Violence Risk Assessment Study, which followed 951 people who had been released from three psychiatric facilities, found that 23 committed 67 acts of interpersonal gun violence — a rate of 2 percent — in the next year. Just 19 of those acts, committed by nine people, were against strangers.

Research conducted in 2020 by a team led by Swanson found that among people in Florida with serious mental illnesses, including some who were committed to a psychiatric facility involuntarily or for a short-term emergency hold, 0.9 percent were arrested for a violent crime involving a gun within seven years — about the same rate as the general population.

Recent years have been brutal for Americans’ mental health, with the CDC finding that rates of anxiety and depression tripled nationwide. But there is no reason to believe that is responsible for rising gun violence over the past two years, said Jennifer Skeem, a clinical psychologist and professor of public policy and social welfare at the University of California at Berkeley.

The consistent invocations of mental health after massacres such as those in Buffalo, Uvalde and Highland Park are ways for officials to distance themselves from the horror of the event, to explain the unfathomable, Skeem said.

“It’s a tragedy that demands explanation, and the stigma of mental illness is something that fuels pseudo-explanations,” she said. “It’s a fake explanation. Why has this man done this terrible thing? The answer is because he’s mentally ill. How do you know he’s mentally ill? Because he’s done this terrible thing.”

The most common mass killings, Peterson said, are those that typically get the least public attention: household killings, in which someone kills their relatives and then themselves.

In that sense, those mass killings have something in common with most other gun violence in America — people tend to know their killers, according to FBI data.

“Commonly, the victim and the perpetrator know each other or know about each other,” Berk said. “They’re not total strangers. It makes it even more sad.”

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2022, 11:07:26 PM »
Pat Benatar won’t sing ‘Hit Me With Your Best Shot’ after mass shootings

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/22/pat-benatar-mass-shootings-song/

The lyrics to Pat Benatar’s most famous song have taken on troubling new meaning to the rock star in the wake of unrelenting gun violence across the country — and she says she doesn’t care if fans are disappointed that she won’t be performing it.

“I’m not going to sing it. Tough,” Benatar told USA Today in an interview published Thursday.

Benatar’s “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” has become a staple in karaoke bars, sports stadiums and movies since it hit the airwaves in 1980. From there, the song about daring “a real tough cookie with a long history of breaking little hearts” to fire away has become synonymous with the decade known for its neon colors, glam metal bands and aerobics classes.

At its core, “it’s a song saying ‘no matter what you throw at me, I can handle it, I can play in your league,’ ” the song’s writer, Eddie Schwartz, has said. But even if the reference to guns is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, Benatar said, “you have to draw the line” — amid the spate of deadly shootings that have thrust the nation into collective grief.

Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot (1980)

“I can’t say those words out loud with a smile on my face, I just can’t,” Benatar told USA Today.

So far this year, there hasn’t been a single week in the United States without a mass shooting. In fact, as of July 4, there hadn’t been a week without at least four mass shootings.

According to the Gun Violence Archive, which defines mass shootings as killing or injuring at least four victims, the country has been rocked by 357 in 2022 — including those in Uvalde, Tex., one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history, and in Highland Park, Ill., where Fourth of July parade spectators were attacked.

At this rate, the pace is comparable to last year’s, which was marked by nearly 700 mass shootings — a significant uptick from the 611 in 2020 and the 417 in 2019. At least 371 people have been killed so far this year in those mass shootings, and 1,557 more have been injured, according to Gun Violence Archive data.

For Benatar, it’s thinking of those victims’ families that has stopped her from singing “Hit Me With Your Best Shot,” she told USA Today. But it’s also “my small contribution to protesting,” she told the outlet.

The soon-to-be Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee isn’t the only celebrity bringing awareness to the epidemic of gun violence. Hours after the Uvalde shooting, Golden State Warriors Coach Steve Kerr implored senators to put “the lives of our children, our elderly and our churchgoers” ahead of their own desire for power. Days later, actor Matthew McConaughey made an impassioned plea for action from the White House briefing room, at one point showing a pair of green Converse sneakers that belonged to a 10-year-old victim.

And Florida Gators quarterback Anthony Richardson announced this week that he will no longer use the nickname “AR-15” — based on his initials and jersey number — because of its association to the semiautomatic rifle used in a slew of shootings.

Fans, however, don’t seem too pleased with Benatar’s “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” boycott. They “are having a heart attack” that it won’t be included in set lists with her other power ballads, like “We Belong” and “Heartbreaker,” the singer told USA Today.

Schwartz, the songwriter, first recorded “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” on a four-track demo when he was in his mid-20s. The music publishing company “hated it” and ended up erasing the recordings, Schwartz told Songfacts. However, one engineer saved a copy of the demo for Schwartz, who sent it to another producer.

“And sure enough, he liked it, and he kept playing it over and over again,” Schwartz told Songfacts. “And the story I heard — I wasn’t there — was Pat Benatar took a meeting in the office next door and heard it through the wall, got excited about it.”

A year later, Benatar’s version of “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” peaked at No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100. It was her first top-10 hit.

Since then, the song has cemented its status as a classic, and fans expect to hear it at her shows. But Benatar is giving them something different on this tour — she’s playing the Beatles’ “Helter Skelter,” which, curiously enough, is also associated with a violent episode in American history: the Charles Manson murders of 1969.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2022, 02:14:22 AM »
Companies made more than $1B selling powerful guns to civilians, report says

House oversight committee accused gun manufacturers of “manipulative marketing campaigns” and profiting off violence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/07/27/companies-made-more-than-1b-selling-powerful-guns-civilians-report-says/

Five gun companies made more than $1 billion over the last decade selling powerful “military-style assault weapons to civilians,” with their revenue surging amid an increase in firearm violence nationwide, a House committee reported on Wednesday.

The House Committee on Oversight and Reform assailed the gun companies, saying they deployed “manipulative marketing campaigns” that sought to connect masculinity with purchasing rifles. Some of the gun manufacturers have seen revenue more than double or triple in recent years, the committee said.

“The gun industry has flooded our neighborhoods, our schools and even our churches and synagogues with these deadly weapons, and has gotten rich doing it,” House Oversight Committee Chairwoman Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.) said during a hearing on the issue Wednesday.

The committee, which said it had studied manufacturers that sold AR-15-style weapons used in mass killings, released its findings after a string of such shootings, including this year in Highland Park, Ill.; Uvalde, Tex.; and Buffalo. Mass killings account for a small share of overall gun violence in the United States; both have increased in recent years.

Appearing before the committee on Capitol Hill, chief executives from two of the companies defended their products as well as ownership of such powerful rifles. The core issue, they said, was not the guns themselves, but the people who might use them to inflict mass carnage.

“Mass shootings were all but unheard of just a few decades ago,” said Marty Daniel, chief executive of Daniel Defense, the gunmaker that produced the weapons used in the Uvalde elementary school massacre, which killed 19 children and two teachers, and a deadly attack in Las Vegas in 2017 that killed 60 people. “So what changed? Not the firearms.”

“I believe our nation’s response needs to focus not on the type of gun, but on the type of persons who are likely to commit mass shootings,” Daniel said. He called the massacres in Uvalde, Buffalo and Highland Park “pure evil” and “unfathomable.”

The other companies named in the report were Bushmaster, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson and Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. Christopher Killoy, president and chief executive of Ruger, also appeared at the hearing Wednesday, and he acknowledged “tension between our constitutional right to own firearms and the harm inflicted by criminals who acquire them.”

But, he said, the latter should not prevent people from exercising the former.

“We firmly believe that it is wrong to deprive citizens of their constitutional right to purchase the lawful firearm they desire because of the criminal acts of wicked people,” Killoy said. “A firearm, any firearm, can be used for good or for evil. The difference is in the intent of the individual possessing it, which we respectfully submit should be the focus of any investigation into the root causes of criminal violence involving firearms.”

Deadly gun violence has surged across the country, with fatal shootings nationwide spiking in 2020 and 2021 to the highest levels in a quarter-century. At the same time, Americans have bought a flood of new guns, with more than 43 million firearms purchased over those years, according to a Washington Post analysis.

Even as the testimony was unfolding in Washington, communities across the country were still confronting the aftermath of recent mass shootings. The gunman accused of opening fire in Highland Park earlier this month, killing seven people during an Independence Day parade, was indicted Wednesday on 117 counts by a grand jury, including charges of first-degree murder, attempted murder and aggravated battery.

And in South Florida, a jury continued to hear testimony in a trial meant to determine whether a gunman who killed 17 people in a Parkland, Fla., high school in 2018 should be sentenced to death.

The House committee launched its investigation into gun manufacturers in May, following the back-to-back killings in Uvalde and Buffalo, which galvanized enough public response to fuel the passage of modest gun-control legislation for the first time in decades.

Maloney pointed to the committee’s findings in criticizing the gun companies for how they promoted guns, which she said “includes marketing to children, preying on young men’s insecurities and even appealing to violent white supremacists.”

Rep. James Comer (R-Ky.), the committee’s ranking Republican, spoke skeptically of laws that limit firearms ownership and pushed back on criticism of the gun companies.

“Gun manufacturers do not cause violent crime,” he said. “Criminals cause violent crime.”

Gun companies, he said, sell firearms to people “allowed to exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for their protection and other lawful purposes.”

But others have tried. In 2018, a group of investors in Ruger pushed the company to report on the violence associated with its guns. The board of directors objected. But a majority of shareholders — led by a group of nuns, and supported by Ruger’s largest investor at the time, the asset firm Blackrock — passed the proposal. The vote occurred just a few months after the Parkland massacre.

The following year, Ruger grudgingly produced the report, which was criticized by activists for failing to produce adequate details. The company said monitoring the criminal use of its products “is not feasible.” In June, a majority of shareholders approved a new resolution asking the company to study the deadliness of its products and impact on human rights.

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2022, 07:32:34 PM »
Gunman kills 5 at LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado Springs before patrons confront and stop him, police say

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/20/us/colorado-springs-shooting-gay-nightclub

A 22-year-old gunman entered an LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado Springs, Colorado, just before midnight Saturday and immediately opened fire, killing at least five people and injuring 25 others, before patrons confronted and stopped him, police said Sunday.

The suspect in the shooting at Club Q was identified as Anderson Lee Aldrich, according to Colorado Springs Police Chief Adrian Vasquez. He used a long rifle in the shooting, and two firearms were found at the scene, Vasquez said.

At least two people inside the club confronted and fought the gunman and prevented further violence, Vasquez said. “We owe them a great debt of thanks,” he said.

Police said they were investigating whether the attack was a hate crime and noted Club Q’s relationship with the LGBTQ community.

“Club Q is a safe haven for our LGBTQ citizens,” Vasquez said. “Every citizen has a right to feel safe and secure in our city, to go about our beautiful city without fear of being harmed or treated poorly.”

In a statement on social media, Club Q said it was “devastated by the senseless attack on our community” and thanked “the quick reactions of heroic customers that subdued the gunman and ended this hate attack.”

Club Q posted earlier in the day that its Saturday night lineup would feature a punk and alternative show at 9 p.m. followed by a dance party at 11. The club also planned to hold a drag brunch and a drag show on Sunday for Transgender Day of Remembrance. The club’s website now says it will be closed until further notice.

Gov. Jared Polis ordered flags lowered to half-staff at all public buildings statewide to honor the victims of the mass shooting beginning Monday until Saturday, according to a news release from his office.

“Flags will be lowered for 5 days to remember each of the 5 individuals who lost their lives in this senseless tragedy,” the release read. “To further honor and remember the victims and those injured in this tragedy, the Polis-Primavera administration will also be flying the Pride flag at the Colorado state capitol for the next five days.”

The shooting came as the calendar turned to Transgender Day of Remembrance on Sunday and is reminiscent of the 2016 attack at an LGBTQ nightclub in Orlando, Florida, in which a gunman who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State killed 49 people and wounded at least 53.

Colorado has been the site of some of the most heinous mass shootings in US history, including the 1999 shooting in Columbine High School and the 2012 movie theater shooting in Aurora. Colorado Springs was the site of mass shootings at a Planned Parenthood in November 2015 that left three dead and at a birthday party last year that left six dead.

According to data from the Gun Violence Archive, there have been more than 600 mass shootings in the United States so far this year, defined as an incident in which at least four people are shot, excluding the shooter.

Joshua Thurman told CNN affiliate KOAA he was inside the club dancing when he heard gunshots and saw a muzzle flash.

“I thought it was the music, so I kept dancing,” he said. “Then I heard another set of shots, and then me and a customer ran to the dressing room, got on the ground and locked the doors and called the police immediately.”

Thurman said he heard the sounds of more gunshots, people crying and windows being shattered. When he came out, he saw bodies lying on the ground, broken glass and blood, he said.

The violence lasted just minutes. Police received numerous 911 calls starting at 11:56 p.m., officers were dispatched at 11:57 p.m., an officer arrived at midnight and the suspect was detained at 12:02 a.m., police said. A total of 39 patrol officers responded, police said, and Fire Department Captain Mike Smaldino said 11 ambulances went to the scene.

Authorities initially said 18 people were injured but later adjusted that total up to 25. Nineteen of the 25 injured had gunshot wounds, Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers told CNN’s Jim Acosta Sunday. Based on communication with medical personnel, Suthers said he expects the injured victims to survive and the community is “crossing our fingers” for no more fatalities.

Joseph Sheldon told CNN affiliate KRDO he visited the club Saturday night to drop off a friend about 10 minutes before the gunman opened fire.

“This is a bar I’ve gone to multiple times in my life since I became the age of 18. A lot of these people at the bar are friends, they are family, a lot are people I’ve become close to,” he said.

“Whether it’s a hate crime or not, it’s hard to see that this is going on, that this happened in my community, that this happened at a place that I’ve gone to and felt safe, that this happened at a place where if I stayed 10 more minutes, I would have been right in the middle of it.”

The suspect is being treated at a hospital, police added. Officers did not shoot at him, police said.

Colorado Springs, the state’s second-most populous city with just under 500,000 residents, is home to a number of military bases and is the headquarters for Focus on the Family, the conservative Christian group that says homosexuality and same-sex marriage are sins.

Club Q opened in 2002 and was, until recently, the only LGBTQ club in the city.

“Proudly queer Club Q has stood as a bastion of the LGBTQ community where others have fallen,” 5280 magazine reported in a story last year. “It’s where LGBTQ folks go for drag performances, dance parties, and drinks, and it supports the community with event sponsorships, pride celebrations, charity drives, and more. While the club has recently shifted to offering more low-key ‘dinner and a show’ vibes before 10 p.m., it’s still known as the place for queer young adults to go and get their dance on.”

In a July 2020 interview with Colorado Springs Indy, Club Q owner Nic Grzecka explained why he and his business partner opened the establishment.

“The whole idea of this place (Club Q) is to have a safe place – to get a permanent one in the city,” Grzecka said.

He and his business partner toured other successful LGBTQ spaces and noted a common theme: “They were gay as hell,” Grzecka told the outlet. “They had go-go dancers and drag queens and bartenders in jockstraps. We knew we had to be gay as hell (to survive).”

The venue also hosts events for people of all ages, including brunch and planned an upcoming Thanksgiving event.

Lifelong Colorado Springs resident Tiana Nicole Dykes called Club Q “a second home full of chosen family.”

“I’m there every other week if not every single week. This space means the world to me. The energy, the people, the message. It’s an amazing place that didn’t deserve this tragedy,” Dykes told CNN on Sunday. “Something like a mass shooting at an LGBT+ safe space is damaging beyond belief. There’s feelings of disrespect, disbelief, and just pure shock. Nobody ever thinks it’s gonna happen to them, and sometimes it does.”

Tim Curran, a copy editor for CNN’s “Early Start,” is a regular at Club Q with his boyfriend when he visits his family in Colorado Springs.

“It’s a very warm, welcoming space, definitely a big step up for diversity in the Springs,” Curran told CNN.

Jewels Parks, who has been in the Colorado drag scene for over a year and performs under the drag name Dezzy Dazzles, said Club Q was a community, a family and a space where the outside world’s cruelty was not welcome.

“Club Q, along with all of the other LGBTQIA+ bars, represent a safe space for a community that has felt unsafe and rejected for most of their lives,” Parks told CNN. “In a world that can be so dark and so angry, it’s that one place that feels like home. We’re able to unwind, forget about our troubles with work, family, society. Because of Club Q, we’re able to make friends that turn into family and be accepted for our true selves.”

“The LGBTQIA+ community has undergone so much bigotry and hatred already. To have our safe place ripped from us and to lose members of our community is a whole other type of hurt,” Parks added.

Antonio Taylor, a drag queen who was born and raised in Colorado Springs, told CNN they discovered Club Q in 2020, when they saw their first drag show. Taylor, who recently came out as bisexual, said a whole new world opened up for them – a world where they were not only safe, but truly loved.

“The people there made me feel like I was a part of a family. Seeing so many people out and proud about themselves definitely influenced me to be my true self,” Taylor told CNN, adding that Club Q and its community helped them feel ready to come out.

“This was one of the places where I didn’t have to worry about looks or people hating me for who I am,” they said. “I’m sick to my stomach that the one place where I knew I was safe has been made unsafe.”

Shenika Mosley, a 14-year patron of Club Q, said the shooting took away the nightclub’s “good energy.”

Mosley has frequented Club Q since 2009 and would find herself on its doorstep “anytime I wanted to get away and go have fun. It just had good energy … never bad energy. We’ll never be able to have that ever again.”

Lily Forsell had a similar sentiment, saying she had been celebrating her 18th birthday at the club and left just before shots rang out. She said she remembers the scene on the dance floor as she was leaving: dozens of people laughing, singing and dancing.

“Looking at that dance floor is going to be a completely different feeling, now that we know what happened to 30 people on that floor,” Forsell told CNN. “I keep all of the drag queens in my heart. They made it out safely, but two of them, who I had first met last night, had to walk out of the building past the horrific scene, their friends injured or killed on the ground.”

Aldrich was arrested in June 2021 in connection with a bomb threat that led to a standoff at his mother’s home, according to a news release from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office at the time and his mother’s former landlord.

Two law enforcement sources confirmed the suspect in the nightclub shooting and the bomb threat were the same person based on name and date of birth.

Video obtained by CNN shows Aldrich surrendering to law enforcement last year after allegedly making a bomb threat. Footage from the Ring door camera of the owner of the home shows Aldrich exiting the house with his hands up and barefoot, and walking to sheriff’s deputies.

Aldrich was arrested that month on charges of felony menacing and first-degree kidnapping, according to the El Paso release.

Sheriff’s deputies responded to a report by the man’s mother that he was “threatening to cause harm to her with a homemade bomb, multiple weapons, and ammunition,” according to the release. Deputies called the suspect, and he “refused to comply with orders to surrender,” the release said, leading them to evacuate nearby homes.

Several hours after the initial police call, the sheriff’s crisis negotiations unit was able to get Aldrich to leave the house, and he was arrested after walking out the front door. Authorities did not find any explosives in the home.

Leslie Bowman, who owns the house where Aldrich’s mother lived, provided CNN the videos. Bowman said Aldrich’s mother rented a room in the house for a little over a year. Aldrich would “come by and visit his mom and hang out in her room,” Bowman said. She described Aldrich as “not very sociable.”

One time, Bowman said, Aldrich got angry at her during an argument about a bathroom toilet not working, and slammed a door in her face.

“That was the only time he was aggressive or angry towards me,” she said.

Attempts by CNN to reach Aldrich’s mother for comment were unsuccessful.

It was not immediately clear how the bomb threat case was resolved, but the Colorado Springs Gazette reported that the district attorney’s office said no formal charges were pursued in the case. The district attorney’s office did not respond to a request for comment from CNN.

Aldrich also called the Gazette in an attempt to get an earlier story about the 2021 incident removed from the website, the newspaper reported. “There is absolutely nothing there, the case was dropped, and I’m asking you either remove or update the story,” Aldrich said in a voice message, according to the Gazette.

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis, a Democrat and the nation’s first openly gay governor, issued a statement Sunday calling the attack “horrific, sickening and devastating” and offered state resources to local law enforcement.

“We are eternally grateful for the brave individuals who blocked the gunman likely saving lives in the process and for the first responders who responded swiftly to this horrific shooting,” he said. “Colorado stands with our LGTBQ community and everyone impacted by this tragedy as we mourn together.”

Polis told CNN’s Jim Acosta there are only two gay bars in Colorado Springs, and Club Q was one of the main venues.

“Everyone knew it. I knew it, knew this venue. It’s just shocking. That’s still setting in for people. But I know we’re going to bounce back. We’re showing love for one another. We’re showing healing for one another,” the governor said.

Colorado’s two US senators, both Democrats, offered condolences in statements and said more should be done for the LGBTQ community.

“We have to protect LGBTQ lives from this hate,” Sen. John Hickenlooper said.

“As we seek justice for this unimaginable act, we must do more to protect the LGBTQ community and stand firm against discrimination and hate in every form,” Sen. Michael Bennett said.

President Joe Biden also issued a statement saying he was praying for the victims and their families.

“While no motive in this attack is yet clear, we know that the LGBTQI+ community has been subjected to horrific hate violence in recent years. Gun violence continues to have a devastating and particular impact on LGBTQI+ communities across our nation and threats of violence are increasing,” Biden said in the written statement.

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2022, 01:51:27 PM »
Gunman who killed 6 at Virginia Walmart was store employee, police say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/11/23/walmart-shooting-chesapeake-virginia/

Police responded to a shooting late on Nov. 22 at a Walmart in Chesapeake, Va., where several people were reported dead and injured. (Video: Storyful)

The shooter who opened fire late Tuesday at a Walmart in the Tidewater area of Virginia was an employee of the store, Chesapeake Police said at a news conference Wednesday.

Six victims died in the attack, along with the shooter. Four others are injured and at local hospitals, though police said they had no information on their conditions. Police said the gunman used a pistol in the rampage and apparently died of a “self-inflicted gunshot wound.” They did not immediately name him pending notification of next of kin.

It remains unclear how many people were in the store at the time of the incident, which came less than two days before Thanksgiving. Walmart said on Twitter early Wednesday that it was working closely with law enforcement and “focused on supporting our associates.” The store will remain closed as the investigation continues, police said.

As people in Virginia wake up to the news that six people were killed in a Tuesday night attack at a Walmart in Chesapeake, officials are expressing sorrow and praising the response by law enforcement.

“Our hearts break with the community of Chesapeake this morning,” Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R) said. “I remain in contact with law enforcement officials throughout this morning and have made available any resources as this investigation moves forward. Heinous acts of violence have no place in our communities.”

The mayor of Chesapeake, Va., Richard W. “Rick” West, said in a statement early Wednesday that he is “devastated by the senseless act of violence that took place late last night in our City.”

“Chesapeake is a tightknit community and we are all shaken by this news,” West said in a statement shared on social media by the city government. He thanked the first responders “who rushed to the scene” of the Walmart where a gunman opened fire Tuesday night, killing six people.

The shooter who killed six people and injured four others inside a Walmart using a pistol was an employee of the store, officials said Wednesday at a news conference. He apparently died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, they said.

The incident unfolded just after 10 p.m. Tuesday. Officials said the store was secured after officers spent about 30 to 40 minutes searching for anyone who was hurt.

They said the store would remain closed for several days during the investigation.

Chesapeake City Manager Chris Price said at the news conference, “I’m devastated by the senseless act of violence that took place last night in our city.”

Tuesday’s attack in Chesapeake, Va., brings the number of mass shootings in the United States in the past week alone to seven, figures from the Gun Violence Archive show.

According to the database — which classifies a mass shooting as an attack in which at least four people are injured or killed, not including the perpetrator — there have been seven mass shootings since Nov. 18, all but one of them involving fatalities. At least three dozen people were wounded in those attacks.

The figures include the five people killed in a shooting at an LGBTQ bar in Colorado Springs over the weekend.

Six people, and the shooter, are dead as of Wednesday morning, Leo Kosinski, a spokesman for the Chesapeake Police Department told The Washington Post.

Kosinski said the number and names of of those injured were not yet known and it was not immediately clear how many people were inside the Walmart store during the shooting.

Tuesday’s shooting inside a Walmart at Sam’s Circle in Chesapeake, Va., is the latest in a string of deadly attacks on supermarkets across the United States in recent years.

In June, 10 people were killed and three were injured during a shooting at a grocery store in a predominantly Black neighborhood in Buffalo. The victims ranged in age from 32 to 86, and 11 of the 13 people shot were Black.

While some of the shootings have unfolded at smaller markets and convenience stores, bigger chains such as Walmart and Kroger have experienced multiple shootings at their locations since 2018. In March 2021, a gunman killed 10 people at a King Soopers outlet, owned by Kroger, in Boulder, Colo.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2022, 11:11:36 PM »
After more than 600 mass shootings this year, let’s be honest about guns

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/11/27/colorado-springs-chesapeake-shootings-gun-laws/

The mass shootings that plague this nation are a uniquely American jumble of contradictions. Each new one horrifies, and yet fits into a depressingly familiar pattern. Communities count the dead — nearly 50 so far in November — and tally the gruesome details. The country vows to honor the lives cut short. And then it all fades from the headlines and people move on, leaving behind thoughts and prayers but no concrete policies to stop the next bloodbath.

The United States has averaged nearly two mass shootings a day this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which tracks when four or more people are shot. To put that another way, it’s now unusual to have a day without a mass shooting. “We aren’t numb — we’re traumatized,” tweeted Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action, which has been urging action to stop gun violence in America since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that took the lives of 20 children and six staff a decade ago.

It can happen anywhere, to anyone. Fourteen Americans mowed down this month at the University of Virginia, Club Q in Colorado Springs and a Walmart in Chesapeake, Va., were doing normal activities of daily life — going to school, enjoying a performance, working. They leave behind grieving loved ones, who ask: Why?

In each case, as usually happens, there were warning signs missed — or ignored. The chilling note the Walmart shooter left in his phone railing against his co-workers and claiming his phone was hacked suggests he was a deeply disturbed 31-year-old. And yet, he was able to buy a pistol just hours before he massacred six fellow employees in a break room. In Colorado Springs, a 22-year-old suspect who had been arrested last year for an alleged bomb threat, but never prosecuted, was not prevented from obtaining an AR-15-style weapon and a handgun. It’s eerily similar in the University of Virginia shooting: The 22-year-old suspect had multiple prior run-ins with the law, including a 2021 conviction for possessing a concealed firearm without a license.

Too often these tragedies are written off to individual cases of mental illness. That does not explain why the United States has had more than 600 mass shootings every year since 2020 and why no other country has anything close to this level of gun violence. We must confront the truth about guns in America and why it is so easy for practically anyone to get them — including some that are weapons of war.

The fact that no single action will stop all mass shootings is no excuse not to do things that could prevent some of them or lower the toll when they happen. President Biden is right to call for another nationwide assault weapons ban, which he helped enact for 10 years when he was a senator in 1994. Poll after poll show wide support for stricter gun laws. The House passed the ban in July, but the Senate has yet to act.

Earlier this year, Democrats and some Republicans worked together to pass a gun safety bill as the nation mourned the 19 elementary school students and two teachers who died from a horrific mass shooting in Uvalde, Tex. The new law included more funding for mental health services and school safety, expanded background checks on 18- to 21-year-olds trying to buy guns, and more funding for programs that help seize guns from troubled individuals. It was a start, but lawmakers cannot stop there.

The U.S. Congress is not the only place where action is needed. When Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R) was asked whether he would support tighter restrictions on guns after two mass shootings occurred in his state this month, he replied: “Today’s not the time.” So when is the right time?

In 2020 and 2021, with Democrats controlling both the legislature and the governorship, Virginia passed modestly enhanced gun control laws. The changes included sensible reforms: Universal background checks, a three-year ban on firearm possession for people convicted of assaulting a family member and a red-flag law that gives authorities the ability to seize weapons from people considered a threat. Clearly, it wasn’t enough.

The spate of gun violence has erupted even as the Supreme Court has limited the tools that government at all levels can use to address the problem. The court’s June ruling, striking down a New York state law that limited concealed carry permits, instructed lower courts to find gun laws unconstitutional unless proponents could point to a historical analogue — in other words, show that regulations are based on or similar to ones that existed in the past. This is an unnecessary and unworkable standard that is making its way through the lower courts, with predictably dreary results. The court should make clear that its focus on history does not need to be applied with monomaniacal precision.

Army veteran Richard M. Fierro is rightly being called a hero for tackling the gunman at Club Q in Colorado Springs and preventing the death count from climbing even higher. But it’s chilling to hear him describe how events that night looked similar to what he saw in Iraq and Afghanistan. How his combat training kicked in after he saw the shooter’s weapon and body armor. His daughter’s boyfriend was one of the victims. “Everybody in that building experienced combat that night,” Fierro said. It took only three days for another war-zone scene to arise, this time at a Walmart.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2023, 06:01:04 PM »
10 dead in shooting in Monterey Park, Calif.; gunman on the run

At least 10 others taken to hospitals in various conditions in Monterey Park incident

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/01/22/monterey-park-california-shooting/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f001

A shooter was at large Sunday after killing at least 10 people the previous night in Monterey Park, a suburb east of downtown Los Angeles, shortly after Lunar New Year festivities ended nearby, officials said.

At least 10 other people were taken to hospitals in various conditions after the shooting at a “ballroom dance location,” Capt. Andrew Meyer of the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department told reporters. The sheriff’s department described the shooter as an Asian man between age 30 and 50 but did not provide a name or any other information.

The gunman’s motive was not clear. Sheriff Robert Luna said investigators did not yet know whether the killings were connected to the nearby Lunar New Year celebration.

“Everything’s on the table,” he said at a news conference. “We don’t know if this is specifically a hate crime, defined by law. But who walks into a dance hall and guns down 20 people?”

Here’s what to know

The 10 victims — five men and five women — were pronounced dead at the scene and were “probably” all of Asian descent, Luna said. He said investigators have not yet identified the victims and did not know their ages.

The shooting occurred about 10:20 p.m., a little over an hour after the Lunar New Year event was scheduled to end, Meyer said. The second day of the festival has been canceled, the city of Monterey Park announced Sunday.

Officials said an incident that took place in the neighboring city of Alhambra minutes after the Monterey Park shooting may be related. In Alhambra, an Asian man walked into a dance hall with a gun before people wrestled the weapon away from him, authorities said.

A business known as Star Ballroom Dance Studio is located at the same address as the one identified by Monterey Park as the scene of the mass killing, but officials have not confirmed whether this is where the shooting occurred.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:14:32 PM by Administrator »

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2023, 05:04:18 PM »
7 dead in Half Moon Bay as California confronts another mass killing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/01/23/half-moon-bay-shooting-california-suspect-farm/

HALF MOON BAY, Calif. — Seven people were killed and one was critically injured in related shootings at two locations around this coastal city, San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus said. The shooting was California’s second mass killing in three days, after the weekend massacre at a dance studio in Monterey Park that left at least 11 people dead.

Police arrested 67-year-old Zhao Chunli of Half Moon Bay at about 4:40 p.m. Monday, shortly after finding him in his vehicle at the parking lot of a San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office substation. Zhao is believed to have acted alone in the shootings, Corpus said.

Both sites are plant nurseries, including a mushroom farm, in a rural area, Corpus said, and Zhao is believed to be a worker at one of the locations. Corpus said the victims, who are still being identified by a coroner, are also believed to be farmworkers in Half Moon Bay, which is about a 40-minute drive from San Francisco and has a population of fewer than 11,400 people.

Here’s what to know

A news conference is scheduled for 9:15 a.m. Pacific time, a detective with the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office told The Post.

Four victims were found dead in the 12700 block of San Mateo Road, and three more were later discovered at a second site in the 2100 block of Cabrillo Highway South, Corpus said.

One victim was being treated for life-threatening injuries at Stanford Medical Center, according to Corpus. The hospital did not immediately respond to a request for a status update Tuesday morning.

‘No past knowledge’ of alleged gunman at farm where second shooting occurred

Concord Farms, the site of the second of two shootings Monday around Half Moon Bay, Calif., where multiple people were killed, had “no past knowledge” of the alleged gunman or his possible motives, a spokesman for the farm said.

“We are shook and very eager to gain more information from the authorities and their investigations. Our hearts are with the victims, their families and the Chinese American community — from Half Moon Bay to Monterey Park,” Aaron Tung, principal at Concord Farms, said in an emailed statement.

A law enforcement officer confirmed to The Washington Post that Concord Farms was one of the shooting sites. It is on Cabrillo Highway South, a street where San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus said three victims were found dead Monday afternoon. That discovery came shortly after five people — four dead and one critically injured — were found shot at another farm about three miles north.

Concord Farms is a family-owned and operated mushroom farm that has operated at the Half Moon Bay location for nearly four decades. According to its website, Concord Farms is “one of the largest growers and importers of gourmet mushrooms, supporting the growing popularity of mushrooms and various specialty vegetables in restaurants and on dinner tables across the country.”

“Half Moon Bay’s climate provides an optimal environment for growing mushrooms, helping us keep consistent standards of quality while lowering overall production costs and energy usage,” the farm says on its website.

Tung, who declined to answer additional questions because of the limited information available at this point, told The Post that the farm is appreciative of all the support it has received since the shooting.

“For certain, we thank the outpouring of thoughts and support from the community,” he said. “We thank law enforcement for their swift response and actions.”

Half Moon Bay massacre is California’s third mass shooting in three days

California has grappled with three mass shootings in three days that have left at least 19 people dead.

Around the tranquil coastal town of Half Moon Bay, a pair of related shootings at two locations Monday killed seven people and left one person critically injured.

On the opposite side of the San Francisco Bay, in Oakland, police said one person was killed and seven others injured in a “shooting between several individuals” Monday night, with homicide investigators taking over the investigation.

And just outside Los Angeles, a gunman killed 11 people at a dance studio in Monterey Park on Saturday.

In Oakland, police said one person was killed and seven others injured in a “shooting between several individuals” on Monday night, with homicide investigators taking over the ongoing investigation.

The Oakland incident was listed in the database of 2023 mass shootings by the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit research organization, which defines a mass shooting as one in which four or more people are shot or killed, not including the shooter. Already, the group has counted 39 mass shootings in the United States in just the first month of 2023 — including the latest three in California.

There is no universal definition of “mass killing” or “mass shooting.” Last year, The Washington Post began defining a mass killing as an event in which four or more people, not including the shooter, have been killed by gunfire.

“Tragedy upon tragedy,” California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) tweeted. He said he was at a hospital with victims of Saturday’s mass killing in Monterey Park when he was pulled away for a briefing about Half Moon Bay.

California State Assembly member Marc Berman said he was at a vigil for the Monterey Park victims just hours before hearing of victims in Half Moon Bay. “Before we’ve even had a chance to mourn them, there is yet another mass shooting.”

These communities join a mounting list of American cities and towns reeling from shooting rampages in schools, grocery stores, houses of worship, nightclubs and other shared spaces around the country.

The carnage in Monterey Park shook a largely Asian community just as Lunar New Year celebrations were beginning. The Los Angeles County sheriff identified the suspect, a 72-year-old man of Asian descent, and said the motive remained unclear.

A motive also remains unknown in the Northern California town of Half Moon Bay, where police said they arrested a suspect and recovered a semiautomatic handgun after finding victims at two farms.

That rampage, in San Mateo County, was also the second mass shooting in the Bay Area on Monday alone. The Oakland police statement said late Monday that the wounded victims there appeared to be in stable condition.