• (Today at 07:30:25 PM)

5's 2022 film & series short reviews

• 68 Replies

Online 5arah

• View Profile
Re: 5's 2022 film & series short reviews
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2022, 07:32:06 PM »

Track of the Moon Beast

Yes, this is a bad movie, but I find humor in terrible film a good amount of the time, so...

A man in New Mexico gets hit with a moon rock, and he turns into a werelizard for some reason.
This was written by Bill Finger, yes, *that* Bill Finger.
This is awful, but has many unintentionally funny moments. Including one of the most baffling musical numbers this side of Howling: New Moon Rising.
On the "so bad it manages to be amusing" score 5/10
It gets a bump for being an unusual werecreature film.

Online 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2022, 07:33:41 PM »

Beavis And Butt-Head Do The Universe

A worthy follow up to "Do America."
I giggled through the whole thing.
Recommended if juvenile, low brow humor hits the spot for you, even if only some of the time, and you are in that mood.
7/10

Online 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2022, 07:34:59 PM »

Old

I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked this, despite all the negative reviews.
A group of vacationers find themselves trapped on a secluded island beach, and start aging rapidly.
Felt like an extended episode of the Twilight Zone, and I mean that in a positive way.
My only real issue is just like in The Sixth Sense, MKS telegraphs the big twist early on if you pay close attention. So I wasn't suprised by the reveal at all, but one's milage may vary.
7/10

Online 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2022, 05:26:24 AM »

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Eh. Was hoping this would be better.
I am one of the few that loved the previous GB film. This was nowhere near as fun as that. Had its moments, but just didn't really hold me. 5/10

Online 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2022, 05:27:48 AM »

Krull

Another 80s movie that somehow escaped me. I really wanted to see this back then, but every time it was on TV something came up, and it got passed over by renting something else at the video store.
Enjoyable enough for what it is, but I get the feeling maybe I would have liked it better of I saw it when I was younger. If I saw Beastmaster today for the first time without all the nostalgia I have tied to it, would I feel the same about it? I don't know, and that's what Krull made think.
Anyway, extraterrestrials invade a sword & sorcery planet, and it's basically a D&D party vs aliens. Has a vibe reminiscent of the Ewok movies. Maybe rating it a bit higher because it kinda did make me feel a bit younger for a moment there, and I loved the shapeshifter wizard guy 6/10

Online 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2022, 05:29:20 AM »

Ms. Marvel

This was a really fun watch. Matches the tone and feel of the comic series, even if some key details have been changed.
Like with the Watchmen series, liked how it drops real world history lessons, even if it takes place in a fantastic setting.
Looking forward to seeing more of Kamala in the future of the MCU
8/10

Online 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2022, 05:31:31 AM »

Prey

Hot damn. This is awesome! Kind of a shame that it didn't get a theatrical release (it deserves it), but if you have access to Hulu, make it a point to see it if you are into horror or sci-fi.
A young Comanche woman who is an aspiring hunter, faces off against a Yautja alien. A high tension, edge of your seat kind of film (or at least for me)
9.5/10

Online 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2022, 05:32:33 AM »

They/Them

The reality that conversion therapy exists is awful enough, the concept of having a slasher set at a conversion camp sounds like overkill, but I decided to give this a chance.
Kind of a mixed bag. Has its moments, especially toward the end, but takes a while to get there.
5.5/10

Online 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2022, 06:06:39 AM »

Strange New Worlds, season 1

Pike's crew, with the vibe and feel of the original series Star Trek. Very, very good!
Missed opportunity though to not title a certain episode "Children of the Gorn"
8.5/10