• Online Ever: 784
  • (Today at 07:50:52 PM)

Ghost produced bullshit

• 15 Replies

Offline ariza

• View Profile
Ghost produced bullshit
« on: May 29, 2021, 12:44:32 AM »
This is why industrial music sucks nowadays.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
    • Underground Music Companion
Re: Ghost produced bullshit
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 01:21:07 AM »
This is why industrial music sucks nowadays.

I was like ...whaaaaaaaaaa ???

A ghost producer is an individual that composes music for other artists for a fee who then releases the music under their own name and does not credit the ghost producer.

https://www.magneticmag.com/2015/09/what-exactly-does-ghost-producer-mean/

Offline ariza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 02:12:12 AM »
Yeah and untalented idiots like Faderhead do it.

Offline soillodge

• Persistence is All
    • View Profile
    • soillodge  Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 05:39:25 PM »
This is very common in the music industry...like for decades in fact. The more modern version is a "beats", producer, as I found out via Reddit. People just write instrumentals for vocalists to purchase and use. The other version is how certain producers will write pop music and then sell it to a record company who finds a personality to front it, and the masses think they wrote it and its their song. Its mainly just a misunderstanding of the industry process.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but there is nothing wrong with being a ghost producer. I dont do it, i'm too much of a control freak to lend my ideas to other people, but I know people that do this for a living and there is nothing wrong with it.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 11:31:35 PM »

Offline ariza

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 12:06:40 AM »
I think everything is wrong with it if the EBM "artist" that uses that ghost production service writes that he wrote the music himself, and they do that.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 12:27:58 AM »

What proof do you have that Faderhead is either the recipient of ghost music or the ghost producer himself?

AsymmetricalXeno

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 01:41:09 AM »
I'd totally do backing tracks for other vocalists, especially if they had a good voice. Would love to lend powernoise beats to some chart pop singers. I'd do it cheap too.

Furbalz

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 06:30:28 AM »
Apology for my furry bullshit, but one day I was helping a friend promote a furry netlabel (a fun thing for hobby musicians who for some reason want to mingle music with their other hobby.) The results are fluffy for my taste, like nerdy EDM related happy fun time music so I thought "how about furry metal?"

It led me to notice inexpensive musician services on Fiverr. I thought "let's hire someone to record shitpost lyrics and call it a day, I don't care if it has basic stock backing."

One of the best profiles I found was a musician in Algeria. It led me down a rabbithole and documentary about a scene of North African metal. It was impressive. This guy helped start a scene and persisted through wars and having a manager assassinated. That's not an easy place to do extreme music professionally. His band got enough love to tour Europe.

I had to honor his talents so hired a fully created track. It's a shitpost on my part but I tried to do a freaky take on genetic mutation theme. https://glozone.bandcamp.com/track/born-to-glow

Maybe it's lazy to base it on a well worn old song but I think the musician gave it a good go. I dropped it because of feeling the effort and unlikeliness to make such a concept work, but I wrote an EP worth with 4 original and 1 metallica parody (trapped in duct tape, reference to the uncomfortable process of wrapping your body in tape to make a base for a furry costume.)

I think it's pretty damn cool that anyone with a computer can access that. I would call ghost producing one of the services that lets working pros do their thing, if it's not blatantly taking credit for doing nothing at all.

There's an extremely talented high demand furry costume maker I know who was hired as a "ghost maker" for a pro sports team mascot. I figured it out even though it's under NDA by asking questions like I knew and getting "can't talk about that."

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:10:35 AM by Furbalz »

Offline soillodge

• Persistence is All
    • View Profile
    • soillodge  Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 01:16:47 AM »
No apology necessary. You bring up some great points. Ghost creating has a long history, ghost writing is a big one. You see all these best selling books by celebrities and politicians. None of them wrote a damn thing. They just looked over the ghost writers notes and put in some ideas. Our whole world if fake, so don't nitpick on the little stuff. :D

Offline ariza

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 08:41:45 PM »

What proof do you have that Faderhead is either the recipient of ghost music or the ghost producer himself?

Ear. I suppose there are many like him.

Offline ariza

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 08:42:36 PM »
No apology necessary. You bring up some great points. Ghost creating has a long history, ghost writing is a big one. You see all these best selling books by celebrities and politicians. None of them wrote a damn thing. They just looked over the ghost writers notes and put in some ideas. Our whole world if fake, so don't nitpick on the little stuff. :D

In an underground music scene, it's actually offensive.  Give credit where it's due and be true to fans who support artists because they think the artists put the hard work in.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 02:15:22 AM by ariza »

Furbalz

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 02:37:03 AM »

In an underground music scene, it's actually offensive.  Give credit where it's due and be true to fans who support artists because they think the artists put the hard work in.

Well yeah, you're right. I suppose it depends on what underground is. If a bunch of hard working people and volunteers pull together to build something up, and someone jumps on it to pull a Milli Vanilli or score deals and get famous, that's different from using hired guns to achieve a bigger vision than one can do on their own.

On the old forum I absolutely loved finding Sally Shapiro doing the Italo project that I think was mostly the vision of the producer. She put a face and voice on it. Phil Oakey pulling dancers from a club to be voices for the Human League worked. Correct me if I'm wrong about who did what. The crediting has to do with who gets certain legal rights and pay, and some jobs may be one-time gigs or journey work? It sometimes gets argued as good for bands to have freedom from producers like how Steve Albini works? Is it more OK to use ghost talent for some genres than others? Just soaking up some info by osmosis here. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 02:44:28 AM by Furbalz »

Marc

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »
As I saw the thread title, I was about to say, that Ghost NEVER-EVER produced bullshit... ;)

Cretin Dilettante

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2021, 10:22:37 PM »
All of -my- albums are ghost written by a Red Mist that's inhabited my body since the day I left the Mauve Zone.