Ray Bradbury's ''Something Wicked This Way Comes'' Book/Film

• 3 Replies

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
    • Underground Music Companion
Ray Bradbury's ''Something Wicked This Way Comes'' Book/Film
« on: August 05, 2024, 12:31:26 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_Wicked_This_Way_Comes_(novel)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_Wicked_This_Way_Comes_%28film%29
https://sciencefiction.com/2018/11/01/throwback-thursday-something-wicked-this-way-comes/

Something Wicked This Way Comes is a 1962 dark fantasy novel by Ray Bradbury, and the second book in his Green Town Trilogy. It is about two 13-year-old best friends, Jim Nightshade and William Halloway, and their nightmarish experience with a traveling carnival that comes to their Midwestern home, Green Town, Illinois, on October 24. In dealing with the creepy figures of this carnival, the boys learn how to combat fear. The carnival's leader is the mysterious "Mr. Dark", who seemingly wields the power to grant the townspeople's secret desires. In reality, Dark is a malevolent being who, like the carnival, lives off the life force of those it enslaves. Mr. Dark's presence is countered by that of Will's father, Charles Halloway, the janitor of the town library, who harbors his own secret fear of growing older because he feels he is too old to be Will's dad.

The novel combines elements of fantasy and horror, analyzing the conflicting natures of good and evil that exist within all individuals. Unlike many of Bradbury's other novel-length works, such as Dandelion Wine and The Martian Chronicles, which are fix-ups, Something Wicked This Way Comes is a single, full-length narrative.

The title is taken from "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes", a line said by the witches in Shakespeare's Macbeth.

One of my most favorite books and films of all time.

Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983) - Trailer HD 1080p

Something Wicked This Way Comes is a 1983 American fantasy film directed by Jack Clayton and produced by Walt Disney Productions from a screenplay written by Ray Bradbury, based on his novel of the same name. The title was taken from a line in Act IV of William Shakespeare's Macbeth: "By the pricking of my thumbs / Something wicked this way comes." The film stars Jason Robards, Jonathan Pryce, Diane Ladd, and Pam Grier.

It was shot in Vermont and at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California. The film had a troubled production – Clayton fell out with Bradbury over an uncredited script rewrite, and after test screenings of the director's cut failed to meet the studio's expectations, Disney sidelined Clayton, fired the original editor, and scrapped the original score, spending some $5 million and many months re-shooting, re-editing and re-scoring the film, before its eventual release.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 12:56:34 AM by droidrage »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
Re: Ray Bradbury's ''Something Wicked This Way Comes'' Book/Film
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2024, 12:39:17 AM »
Ray Bradbury 1962 Something Wicked This Way Comes Hecht Audiobook

Something Wicked This Way Comes: Revisiting a Dark Disney Classic

Something Wicked this Way Comes/No Ads/ To Analyze for Review & Comments for aspiring storytellers.

Disney's Creepiest Live-Action Film Is Hard To Shake Off

https://www.reddit.com/r/flicks/comments/16jjcal/disneys_adaptation_of_ray_bradburys_something

« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 12:46:37 AM by droidrage »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2024, 12:39:29 AM »
This NOSTALGIC video is for adults who wish to remember and relive something from their past.

In honor of the film's 40th Anniversary, this year (4/29).

One of the most RARE but also frightening "Disney" films ever made.   Especially after box-office failures with "The Black Hole" in 1979-- And "The Watcher In the Woods" in 1980, this was one of the last attempts in the thriller/horror genre until 1985's "The Black Cauldron".

First time I ever saw this film was in 2013-- 10 years ago, to the day when my folks found it for $5 in a Wal-Mart DVD Bin from an old release in 2004.  Shame there wasn't any other bonus features about this rare film after all this time, except for the original trailer.

Surprised from what I found out-- this film had multiple delays, and it was shot both in Vermont and at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California. The film had a troubled production-- Bradbury had an uncredited script rewrite, and after test screenings of the director's cut failed to meet the studio's expectations, the original editor was fired, and original score scrapped.  $5 million and many months re-shooting, editing and scoring, before the eventual release.

I like this film as it has well known actor Jonathan Pryce (Tomorrow Never Dies, Pirates of the Caribbean), and veteran actor Jason Robards (Raise The Titanic) as a combined battle between good and evil.  I even like the set designs which really seemed out of this world.

Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983) - Theatrical Trailer (4K)

Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983) - Teaser Trailer HD 1080p

« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 12:48:30 AM by droidrage »

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2024, 09:51:25 PM »
Other very dark Disney films they should make more of..

The Black Hole - Trailer (HD) (1979)

Loved this one..

The Watcher in the Woods Trailer (1980)

Disney's Creepy '80s Horror Movie You Have to See to Believe

The Black Cauldron 1985 Trailer | Disney