Stats
  • Total Posts: 8793
  • Total Topics: 2336
  • Online Today: 239
  • Online Ever: 367
  • (April 30, 2024, 01:13:11 PM)

SPACE: 1999 (1975-1977) - short-lived Sci-Fi series that nobody remembers but me

• 3 Replies

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Underground Music Companion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1999
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Space:_1999_episodes

Space: 1999 is a British science-fiction television programme that ran for two series from 1975 to 1977. In the premiere episode, set in the year 1999, nuclear waste stored on the Moon's far side explodes, knocking the Moon out of orbit and sending it, as well as the 311 inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha, hurtling uncontrollably into space.

Space: 1999 was the final production by the partnership of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson and was, at the time, the most expensive series produced for British television, with a combined £6.8 million budget. The first series was co-produced by ITC Entertainment and Italian broadcaster RAI, while the second was produced solely by ITC.

Two series of the programme were produced, each comprising 24 episodes.

Production of the first series was from November 1973 to February 1975; production of the second series was from January 1976 to December 1976.

The premise of Space: 1999 centres on the plight of the inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha, a scientific research centre located within the crater Plato in the Moon's northern hemisphere.[5] Humanity had been storing its nuclear waste in vast disposal sites on the far side of the Moon, but when an unknown form of "magnetic radiation" is detected, the accumulated waste reaches critical mass and causes a massive thermonuclear explosion on 13 September 1999. The force of the blast propels the Moon like an enormous booster rocket, hurling it out of Earth orbit and into deep space at colossal speed, thus stranding the 311 personnel stationed on Alpha. The runaway Moon, in effect, becomes the "spacecraft" on which the protagonists travel, searching for a new home. Not long after leaving Earth's Solar System, the wandering Moon passes through a black hole and later through a couple of "space warps" which push it even further out into the universe. During their interstellar journey, the Alphans encounter an array of alien civilisations, dystopian societies, and mind-bending phenomena previously unseen by humanity. Several episodes of the first series hinted that the Moon's journey was influenced (and perhaps initiated) by a "mysterious unknown force", which was guiding the Alphans toward an ultimate destiny. The second series used simpler action-oriented plots.

The first series of Space: 1999 used a "teaser" introduction, sometimes called a "hook" or "cold open". This was followed by a title sequence that managed to convey prestige for its two main stars, Landau and Bain (both billed as 'starring') and to give the audience some thirty-plus fast-cut shots of the forthcoming episode. The second series eliminated this montage. The programme would then offer four ten-to-twelve minute long acts (allowing for commercial breaks in North America) and finished with a short (and, in the second series, often light-hearted) "epilogue" scene.

Space 1999 - The Complete Series ULTIMATE EDITION (Trailer)

Metamorphosis of Space: 1999

Space: 1999 - A Hidden Sci-Fi Gem

Rewind: Martin Landau talks about "Space: 1999"

The Troubled Making of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's Space: 1999 (Behind the Scenes)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 02:46:47 AM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
Re: SPACE: 1999 - a short-lived Sci-Fi series that nobody remembers but me
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2024, 01:50:44 AM »
Space: 1999: Season 1 Episode 1 - Breakaway (Full Episode) - 1975

SPACE 1999 - All 48 Episodes in High Definition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEUoNOw3oHw&list=PLUA9kG1DciUwY2VSvIGk3WZI_TqJMynxG
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 01:53:01 AM by droidrage »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
Re: SPACE: 1999 - a short-lived Sci-Fi series that nobody remembers but me
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2024, 02:13:01 AM »
They need to stop using the year number in the titles or even in the shows themselves in Sci-Fi TV series and movies - right?

2001: A Space Odyssey
2010: The Year We Make Contact
Space:1999
Class Of 1999
Blade Runner = uses the year 2019
Terminator = uses the year 1997 skynet goes active

at least Star Trek got it right by using star dates instead
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 10:23:19 AM by droidrage »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
No freaking way did I watch this really stupid TV series as a kid - no way LOL!

UFO 1970 - 1971 Opening and Closing Theme (With Snippets) Blu-Ray Dolby 5.1