« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 04:35:17 PM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
    • Underground Music Companion
Re: The TESLA and Electric Vehicles thread
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 10:36:08 PM »
Tesla - Pretend to Save the Environment While Looking Rich

Tesla's Cookie Monster sketch Guard your cookies!

Furbalz

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 07:47:41 AM »
I have a soft spot for a vehicle where you could feasibly replace vroom-vroom noises with farts (yes I own a fart machine, no home is complete without one)

My buddy drove me and my bike home tonight in a hydrogen fuel cell car and it was a sweet ride, generates water for exhaust.

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 04:02:33 PM »
Inside the race for a car battery that charges fast — and won’t catch fire

Amid rising gas prices and climate change, car giants are in a fierce contest to perfect the solid-state battery, long viewed as a ‘holy grail’ for electric vehicles

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/05/18/solid-state-batteries-electric-vehicles-race/

Toyota's prototypes of electric vehicles at the company's showroom in Tokyo. (Kiyoshi Ota/Bloomberg News)

In September, Toyota offered the world a glimpse into the company’s future. In an 11-second YouTube video, it displayed a modern four-door car cruising down a test track. The most important upgrade was the tagline emblazoned on the car’s right side: “Powered By All-Solid-State Battery.”

In recent years, car giants such as Toyota, Ford and Volkswagen have been trying to overcome the shortcomings of batteries that power electric vehicles by racing to produce a next-generation battery. Many companies are rallying around solid-state batteries, which do not contain liquid electrolytes and can charge quicker, last longer and be less prone to catching fire than the lithium-ion batteries currently in use, according to battery experts. Automakers have poured millions into perfecting the technology by the latter half of the decade.

The contest comes at a crucial time. Gas prices have skyrocketed, and climate change has accelerated efforts to curb greenhouse gas emissions, increasing demand for electric vehicles. This has led to shortages of many minerals used in current electric-vehicle batteries, amid ethical concerns as they’re often mined by adults and children in backbreaking conditions with little protection.

But experts and carmakers say getting the new batteries to market is an extremely challenging task.

“It’s the technology of the future,” said Eric D. Wachsman, director of the Maryland Energy Innovation Institute. “The question is: How soon is that future going to be here?”

For the past three decades, lithium-ion batteries have been king. They can recharge quickly and hold high amounts of power in a small package. Their benefits made them ubiquitous, fueling not just cellphones and electronic tablets, but pacemakers, operating room equipment and many other essential products.

But experts say their use in electric vehicles is limited. Lithium-ion batteries can’t be charged too often, forcing drivers to ride on a single charge. They might also be reaching a cap on how much power they can store, scientists have noted. Because they are filled with flammable liquid electrolytes, they can also pose a fire risk, which led General Motors to recall their Chevy Bolt electric vehicle last summer.

These batteries also rely heavily on nickel and cobalt, which are facing supply shortages and rising in price. Cobalt, which is mostly mined in the Democratic Republic of Congo by adults and children who often inhale toxic chemicals and contract fatal lung diseases, has sparked a human rights crisis in the country.

Lei Cheng, a chemist and material science expert at Argonne National Laboratory, said there’s “no doubt” that solid-state batteries will replace lithium-ion batteries in the future. The new batteries, which would replace flammable liquid electrolytes with a solid layer of graphite, could be safer, reduce dependency on nickel and cobalt, and hold more energy in a cheaper way, she said, making them alluring to car manufacturers.

“If you buy a nice Tesla car,” she said, “the price is pretty much decided by what kind of battery you put in.”

Major carmakers, knowing the drawbacks and costs embedded in current battery technology, are partnering with solid-state battery companies or conducting in-house research and development on the technology.

Volkswagen has invested $300 million in QuantumScape, a solid-state battery company also backed by Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, aiming to bring the batteries to production by the middle of this decade. Ford and BMW led a $130 million investment round in a Colorado solid-state battery start-up called Solid Power, hoping to debut the technology around 2027. In January, Toyota announced it will put solid-state batteries in hybrid cars on dealership lots by 2025.

For Doug Campbell, the chief executive of Solid Power, the focus on solid-state technology has been a boon. In December, Solid Power went public and raised over $540 million. Now, it is “hiring like mad” as it tries to meet its goal of getting commercially viable solid-state batteries into cars by 2027, Campbell said.

Campbell added that he is not surprised carmakers are flocking to the technology. With batteries accounting for 40 percent of an electric vehicle’s cost and representing a key safety component, finding batteries that are cheaper, longer lasting and less flammable is one of the most crucial innovations for car manufacturers going forward.

“Solid-state is sort of that holy grail,” he said.

Despite that, there are some worries about the technology. When announcing its plans to introduce solid-state batteries into hybrid cars by 2025, Toyota noted that they are not yet set to be used in fully electric cars. Gill Pratt, the company’s chief scientist, said in January the batteries are currently too expensive to power a fully battery-operated car. He also noted that charging solid-state batteries repeatedly affects their overall life span.

“We want to start by putting them in [hybrid] vehicles where we believe that they’re both the most well suited in terms of lifetime, but also that will exercise them sufficiently so that as costs continue to come down, we can roll them out in the future” in fully electric vehicles, he told the Autoline Network.

Wachsman, of the Maryland Energy Innovation Institute, noted that manufacturing these batteries will prove difficult. He said it is likely that solid-state batteries will first show up in other sectors where smaller quantities of the product are needed, pointing to the U.S. defense and aerospace sectors.

The challenge, Wachsman said, is that most lithium-ion batteries are made in China, which has perfected the manufacturing process, driving down costs.

But switching global production to solid-state batteries requires a different manufacturing process that would be harder to replicate at the same scale as that of lithium-ion batteries — which is likely to drive up costs in the short term.

“[Battery makers] are on a path to have commercial products within the next two years,” he said. “The question will be whether or not they can scale.”

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 04:11:41 PM »
I have a soft spot for a vehicle where you could feasibly replace vroom-vroom noises with farts (yes I own a fart machine, no home is complete without one)

My buddy drove me and my bike home tonight in a hydrogen fuel cell car and it was a sweet ride, generates water for exhaust.

Why Hydrogen Cars Flopped

The Truth about Hydrogen

Lithium VS Hydrogen VS Solid State | EV Battery Technologies Explained

Fart maker review - Le Tooter / The Pooter / Pooter Tooter

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 04:15:16 PM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 08:28:44 AM »
Tesla owners love their cars. Elon Musk? Not as much.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/06/04/tesla-elon-musk-twitter/

Earl and Lindsey Banning love, love, love their Tesla, a common sentiment among the Teslarati. Owners don’t tend to idle in neutral.

But when it comes to Tesla CEO, Space X commander, Twitter behemoth and wannabe overlord Elon Musk, the couple in Dayton, Ohio, diverges like a fork in the interstate.

“I find him deeply problematic,” says Lindsey, 46, a clinical psychologist. “He is an attention-seeking person.” Musk’s tweets, which seem to have revved into overdrive since he announced a $44 billion hostile takeover bid of Twitter in April, make her “uncomfortable and anxious.” If Musk succeeds in acquiring the social media platform, she says, “it’s going to be a less-safe space — not that it is now. Potentially, it’s going to get worse.”

Earl, also 46, an Air Force major and neuropsychologist who has been retweeted by Musk, is more accepting. “I see him as human, as a genius with flaws,” says Earl. “He’s lacking some empathy. He’s definitely chewed up some relationships along the way.”

The car is a marvel, owners rhapsodize. When it comes to the man, they have Muskgivings.

Tesla owners purchase the cars, and frequently the stock, because they care about the environment and adore the way they drive and look. But much of their passion has been complicated by Musk’s behavior and public musings.

Musk’s tweets and other commentary are so frequent and so absent a filter that to some of his nearly 96 million followers — though many may be bots — he has lost all ability to shock. Generating puerile and sexist tweets, offending the trans and nonbinary, deploying grossly inaccurate statements about the coronavirus. Trolling Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal with a poop emoji. Oh, and in 2018 engaging in securities fraud, resulting in Musk and Tesla each paying $20 million in penalties.

He exhausts patience and blots out the sun. He reigns over the Twittersphere once ruled by Trump, whom Musk has surpassed in followers. In April, Musk shared, and not for the first time, that half his tweets are created on the toilet. Musk did not respond to emailed requests for comment.

In the world of Tesla owners, Musk can be a constant source of conversation, in a way that few CEOs are. After all, how many can most of us name? “Elon Musk lives rent free in my husband’s head. All. The. Time,” says Colleen Shattuck, 66, a retired physician assistant and Tesla owner in Montana, of her husband, Paul, a retired mining engineer.

The argument that with every great genius comes greats flaws surfaces frequently. “Let Elon be Elon” his admirers say, uniformly addressing him by his first name. Genius has its privileges. Look, he gave us snazzy electric cars — provided you can afford the sticker price and tolerate delayed gratification, in some regions a delivery wait of more than six months. Last spring on “Saturday Night Live,” Musk announced that he has Asperger’s syndrome, part of the autism spectrum, which gained him sympathy among some followers while it was knocked by others as “self-serving and hollow” for implying that it explains his behavior.

“My experience is that geniuses are always messy,” says Sara Thorne, 63, an Episcopal deacon from D.C. and a Tesla X owner. “They may do society a lot of good. At the same time, they can cause a lot of problems.” To Thorne, Musk’s logorrheic commentary is beside the point: “I don’t have the bandwidth or the interest to pay attention. I don’t have to play in the sandbox with him.”

Still, she adds, “I would pray for the people who work for him because it can’t be easy.”

Disassociation abounds. Love the car, not the tweeter.

To many, Musk is akin to a fictional character, one who lives on Twitter. It’s as though he’s cosplaying at being the world’s richest dude, worth around $218.1 billion, depending on the day. Tesla drivers compare him to a wacky uncle, Albert Einstein, an undisciplined adolescent (albeit one who’s 50), Donald Trump, one of Reader’s Digest’s Most Unforgettable Characters, even George Constanza.

“I chose to view Elon Musk as this separate character aside from Tesla, a blessing and a curse,” says Andy Slye, 32, who works in information technology in Louisville and runs a tech YouTube channel with more than 270,000 subscribers. That said, “I’ve always admired how he can be himself, super-weird and super-polarizing.”

Robert Rosenbloom, 60, a Los Angeles emergency room physician and a co-host of the “Talking Tesla” podcast, views Musk’s social media salvos as a window into how the superior mind works. Imagine if Einstein or Edison had mused on Twitter? “We might see much of the same conversation,” Rosenbloom says. “If we put a filter on them, we would be back in the Stone Age. We wouldn’t have anyone putting their neck out. It’s a good thing we have geniuses that push the limits.”

There are his shifting politics. Some owners dislike Musk’s pronouncements in May that Democrats are the party of “division and hate,” he will vote Republican and, if successful in acquiring Twitter, he will reverse Donald Trump’s ban from Twitter, which he called a “morally bad decision, to be clear, and foolish in the extreme.” Two-thirds of electric and hybrid vehicle owners identified as or leaned Democratic, according to a 2021 Pew Research Center survey. What CEO offends the vast majority of his potential consumer base?

Shattuck describes herself as “a recovering Republican,” the recovering due to Trump. She has been taken aback by Musk’s “outrageous, misogynist comments. Again, it’s that complete lack of filter. Does no one call him aside and say, ‘This is not appropriate in this day and age’?” To her, allowing Trump’s return to the social media platform would be a tweet too far: “I understand freedom of speech but you can’t let lies go unchecked. You can’t cry ‘fire’ in a crowded building.”

Ben Sullins, a data-science educator and electric vehicle YouTube reviewer, calls Teslas “basically the best cars on the planet. They changed the entire industry.” He is wholly disappointed in Musk.

“Twitter has not been his friend,” says Sullins, 40, of San Diego. “You’re not just any other man. You’re a leader of a movement, of just cases. I believe wholeheartedly in the mission. I see him making bad choices, being controversial.” The company, Sullins says, “doesn’t need him anymore. Go. Please leave Tesla alone. This company is too important for him to screw it up.”

Sean Mitchell, 41, a real estate broker in Denver and president of the local Tesla club, says, “I often feel conflicted about him.” Letting “Elon be Elon” doesn’t always triumph: “From my perspective, he’s his own worst enemy. There are things he can create awareness and goodness around. But using social media to disparage Democrats? I think that probably does more harm than good.”

Musk can creep into a marriage, like the Bannings. “It’s part of my intermittent discomfort of owning a Tesla," says Lindsey, the clinical psychologist. Her values don’t align with his professed ones.

"Given Elon’s position and his level of power, I think that comes with responsibility,” which he’s abrogated with his comments, she says.

But Earl, the neuropsychologist and Air Force major, says, “Elon is super-successful. He’s incredibly rich and famous. Like, who would handle that well?”

There are times when Lindsey tells Earl, “I think you have a blind spot when it comes to Elon.”

To which Earl says, “I do have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Elon.”

And yet, when they make the 3,800-mile journey to move from Ohio to Alaska this month, their gray Tesla X will be coming too, because they really cherish that car.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 08:19:39 PM »
Extra Terra - Cybertruck (Official Music Video)

Tesla Cybertruck event in 5 minutes

Tesla Cybertruck - This is why Cybertruck is Special

Tesla Cybertruck 2023 update | Cybertruck | Tesla Update 2023

The Real Reason Tesla Developed The Cybertruck!

Cybertruck 2023 Roundup Walk Around

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 01:20:59 AM by Administrator »

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 01:15:24 AM »
Tesla Optimus Robot: FIRST LOOK at Elon Musk’s $20,000 Humanoid

Tesla shows off updates to its robot #tesla #elongation #bostondynamics

Watch Tesla Reveal Walking Optimus Robot (Investor Day 2023)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 02:46:02 AM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 10:04:00 PM »
Elon Musk INTRODUCES Tesla's First Flying Vehicle!

Elon Musk Just Revealed ALL NEW $156,000 Flying Car!

Tesla-Powered Flying Car Doesn't Require A License | Cars Insider

« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 03:20:48 AM by Administrator »

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 03:18:07 AM »
This Tesla Cars Apocalyptic Scene Is Insane In Leave The World Behind

This Tesla Cars Apocalyptic Scene Is Insane In Leave The World Behind #foryou #viral #movie #movies #movieclips #moviescene

https://www.tiktok.com/@sflix.movie/video/7312789668674751776

Elon Musk Reacts To Tesla 'Leave The World' Scene

What would Teslas do during end of the world

Now I know why Musk and TESLA hate this movie so much = LOL

tesla factory slaves

« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 11:51:03 PM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2024, 08:54:40 PM »
Elon Musk’s embrace of Trump is turning off these Tesla lovers

The entrepreneur’s provocative online posts repel some EV buyers, but he may be winning over some conservatives, analysts and consumers say.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/08/10/musk-tesla-trump-fans/

SAN FRANCISCO — Vibhor Chhabra once identified as a Tesla fan.

A decade ago, the 44-year-old Bay Area product executive saw the brand as a signifier that a driver wanted to fight climate change, electrify transportation or back CEO Elon Musk’s vision for a sustainable future. “You could make a statement while having a great car,” said Chhabra, who has owned three different Tesla vehicles and for a time held stock in the company.

But Chhabra is now shopping for a new vehicle — and looking elsewhere. Tesla’s brand “comes with a lot of baggage,” he said, and he no longer wants to be associated with Musk.

Chhabra is part of a movement that appears to be growing: Drivers who have bought or considered buying Tesla vehicles are now eyeing EVs from competitors, partially because of Musk’s polarizing persona or recent endorsement of former president Donald Trump’s 2024 campaign.

The backlash comes as Tesla is encountering more competition in the EV market as the biggest automakers electrify their lineups. The company has pioneered and dominated sales of electric vehicles in the United States and has an unrivaled charging network. But in the second quarter, Tesla saw its share of new EV sales drop below 50 percent for the first time, according to Cox Automotive, a 10 percentage point decline from a year earlier. Market-research firms have said Tesla’s reputation among consumers has been slipping in recent years, and the company’s stock price has declined 19.5 percent this year.

“There are a lot of credible studies out there that really do suggest that Elon Musk’s increasingly right-wing politics do alienate a significant number of shoppers,” said Ed Kim, president and chief analyst of AutoPacific, an automotive research and consulting firm.

Tesla and Musk did not respond to requests for comment.

While Tesla’s Model Y is the top-selling car in the Golden State, a July report from the California New Car Dealers Association noted that Tesla new-car registrations in the state have been on a downward trajectory for three consecutive quarters.

Musk’s posts on his social media service X have become markedly more political in recent weeks. In addition to endorsing Trump, he has claimed that his estranged trans daughter was “killed by the woke mind virus,” prompting her to criticize him for spreading harmful stereotypes and allege that he mischaracterized her childhood. Musk has also shared misinformation on X, including last month a video of Vice President Kamala Harris that had been altered to make her appear to say she was a “deep-state puppet.”

Democrats are more likely than Republicans to consider buying an EV. A May survey from the Pew Research Center found that 45 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents said they were somewhat or very likely to seriously consider buying an EV compared with 13 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaners. Only a small share of Americans already own EVs.

Although Musk’s alignment with Trump may risk alienating some of his current and potential customer base, it could open new opportunities by converting EV-skeptical conservatives into Tesla enthusiasts, some auto analysts and Tesla owners say.

“It’s very possible that Elon Musk’s embrace of far-right politics may be helping to increase EV consideration among right-leaning people,” Kim said, citing early data collected by his firm. Shahar Silbershatz, CEO at market intelligence firm Caliber, said in an email that his company’s research shows that affinity for Tesla among conservatives has recently been rising. It’s unclear how that effect might help Tesla’s business.

Trump, who has often lambasted EVs in stump speeches, has recently changed his stance. “I am for electric cars. I have to be. Elon endorsed me very strongly,” Trump said at a rally Aug. 3. On Monday, Trump, praised Musk while sitting in a Cybertruck with social media influencer Adin Ross. The former president said in a social media post Tuesday that he would sit for an interview with Musk on Monday, which the Tesla CEO has indicated will be streamed on X.

Stan Clark first bought a Tesla in 2018 but says Musk’s recent partisanship is “making it more uncomfortable” to be a liberal driving one of his vehicles. “I don’t consider Trump an environmental candidate, and I don’t understand how somebody who started a company with an environmental mission could support that candidate,” said Clark, a 74-year-old in Santa Rosa, Calif. The retired architect has put down a deposit on an electric midsize SUV from rival California automaker Rivian, expected to arrive in 2026.

“If I want to make the move away from Tesla, I have an option,” Clark said, noting that there are a lot more competitors in the EV market than there were just a few years ago.

Calls to several dealerships in the Bay Area for brands that compete with Tesla suggested that Musk’s persona can help drive consumers to rivals’ forecourts. Esther Chun, manager at a Polestar dealership in San Jose, said in a phone interview that customers will frequently say things like: “I’m looking for an EV. I just don’t want a Tesla,” or simply “I don’t like Elon Musk.”

Chhabra and other EV drivers said they find it most concerning that Musk shares misleading content. “The problem is posting stuff that’s unreal,” Chhabra said. “When someone with the stature of Elon Musk does that, people believe it because it’s Elon Musk.”

Brands generally try to avoid weighing into cultural debates and politics because polarization is so strong in the United States, says Tim Calkins, a marketing professor at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management.

Many companies also try to ensure their brand isn’t strongly associated with a single individual, Calkins said, because public reputations can be volatile. But Musk has disdained conventional marketing for Tesla and positioned himself as the company’s public face. “It’s very hard to separate Elon Musk and Tesla,” Calkins said.

Musk attaching his personal brand to Trump has also caused Tesla to lose business from some corporate clients. German drugstore chain Dirk Rossmann said this week that it would no longer purchase Teslas for its fleet. “Elon Musk makes no secret of his support for Donald Trump. Trump has repeatedly described climate change as a hoax,” Raoul Rossmann, son of the company’s founder, said in the statement. “This attitude is in stark contrast to Tesla’s mission to contribute to environmental protection through the production of electric cars.”

Matt Hiller, who lives in Hawaii, has turned his own experience of being turned off by Tesla into a robust side business. He and his wife were considering buying a Tesla but decided against it as they watched Musk post polarizing thoughts and misinformation on X.

“I didn’t want any association with him, and I kind of thought people who had these cars already must be feeling the way I was,” Hiller, 46, said in an interview with The Washington Post.

Hiller began selling bumper stickers on Etsy, Amazon and eBay for Tesla drivers who had fallen out of love with Musk. They bear slogans including “ANTI-ELON TESLA CLUB,” “SHUT UP ELON” and “I BOUGHT THIS BEFORE WE KNEW ELON WAS CRAZY.” Observant drivers can spot them on Bay Area freeways.

One of Hiller’s designs — a red circle with “ELON” in the middle and a line running through it — sold out after Musk endorsed Trump’s 2024 campaign.

Justin Demaree, an undecided voter who tries to steer clear of politics, isn’t fully with or against Musk’s views. Mostly, the 36-year-old content creator in the Orlando area who runs a YouTube channel called Bearded Tesla Guy, disagrees with making purchasing decisions based on a CEO’s perspective.

“In my view, you should be making your purchasing decisions on things that make your life better,” Demaree said in a phone interview while driving his Cybertruck to the beach.

The associations that come with driving a Tesla have shifted swiftly, said Jarret Fink, a 51-year-old retired law enforcement officer in California’s Sierra Foothills who runs a YouTube channel called Mountain Man Tesla. Fink bought his first vehicle from Musk’s company in 2020 and recalls his friends teasing him for being a “greenie,” because of its environmentalist associations. Now when he pulls up to the gun store in his town, he’ll sometimes find its parking lot packed only with Teslas, he said. “We all talk Tesla stuff — we talk about going to the track and how fast they are,” Fink said.

Fink, who identifies as an independent and plans to vote for Trump, thinks Musk’s endorsement of the former president can inspire conservatives to shift from gas-powered cars to electric ones. “I think now that Elon Musk has an appeal to conservatives … this is giving them that carrot to [say], ‘Well, my buddy bought one, and he’s not a liberal,’” Fink said.