Pitchfork: Spotify Plots Change to Royalties Structure

• 3 Replies

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Underground Music Companion
Pitchfork: Spotify Plots Change to Royalties Structure
« on: October 26, 2023, 05:58:32 PM »
Spotify Plots Change to Royalties Structure, With a Minimum Streams per Song Requirement for Payout

https://pitchfork.com/news/spotify-plots-change-to-royalties-structure-with-a-minimum-streams-per-song-requirement-for-payout/

The company is also reportedly changing how royalties are generated for white noise and nature sounds

Spotify is planning to make changes to its royalties model early next year, Billboard and Music Business Worldwide (MBW) report. The reported plans will impact artists who don’t generate significant streaming numbers, anyone accused of fraudulent activity, and anyone who uploads white noise or nature sounds.

The first proposed change to Spotify’s royalties system requires for a song to hit a minimum number of annual streams before it will generate royalties. That threshold, which has not been announced or made clear, will reportedly demonetize songs that received 0.5% of the streamer’s overall royalty pool. According to MBW, that money will be redistributed through Spotify’s Streamshare royalty pot and pay out to more popular songs.

Another new change will be financial penalties to music distributors whose uploads are flagged for fraudulent activity. Non-music “noise” tracks—specifically mentioned are white noise and nature sounds—will require longer play times to generate royalties, though the specific length has not been made clear. It also hasn’t been specified how it will be determined if a track falls into that category.

When reached about the reported changes being planned, a Spotify spokesperson shared this statement: “We’re always evaluating how we can best serve artists, and regularly discuss with partners ways to further platform integrity. We do not have any news to share at this time.”

The United Musicians and Allied Workers union offered a reaction to today’s news. “Artists have solutions to fix streaming but Spotify isn’t listening,” the union shared on social media. “Instead they propose changes that will enrich the top of the pyramid even more, and make it even more impossible for working musicians to benefit from streaming.”

The Future of Music Coalition added: “This marks a serious shift away from how the service was pitched to the musician community at launch, as a level playing field that treated all tracks the same. Over time, Spotify has shifted further and further away from that pledge.”

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
Re: Pitchfork: Spotify Plots Change to Royalties Structure
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 03:13:15 AM »
 Vampire Step-Dad
Hey kiddo!

You may have not heard recently that starting in 2024, Spotify will stop paying artists for songs that get less than 1000 streams per year. It may surprise you that just 30% of my songs meet that threshold.

This has me real angry, frustrated, and depressed. I'm not sure why it's affecting me so hard, but it is.

But I'm not sending you this message just to complain. I want to thank you.

Thank you for going the extra mile and supporting artists you love. You are the reason I can spend more time and effort to make music. Your support opens up so many doors and allows me resources that I couldn't justify otherwise. Without you, music would just be a hobby and I'd probably never put in the effort to compile and market an album.

So, again, thank you so much for being you. Being the supportive, caring, extra-mile going person you are.

Love you, kiddo.

Vlad, your Vampire Step-Dad

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 10:38:41 PM »
Spotify to cut 17% of its staff

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/04/tech/spotify-layoffs-third-round/index.html#:~:text=Spotify%20to%20cut%2017%25%20of%20its%20staff&text=Spotify%20is%20laying%20off%20around,%22right%2Dsize%22%20costs.&text=Spotify%20will%20lay%20off%20around,for%20the%20music%2Dstreaming%20company.

London
CNN
 —
Spotify will lay off around 1,500 employees to reduce costs in a third round of job cuts this year, CEO Daniel Ek said Monday as he announced a “significant” strategy shift for the music-streaming company.

“Economic growth has slowed dramatically and capital has become more expensive. Spotify is not an exception to these realities,” Ek wrote in a letter to staff posted to the company’s website.

Spotify’s changes aim to make the company more efficient, taking it back to its startup roots after a massive hiring and spending spree helped it gain tens of millions of subscribers — but didn’t make it consistently profitable.

Ek said the firm had debated making smaller job cuts next year and in 2025. “Yet, considering the gap between our financial goal state and our current operational costs, I decided that a substantial action to right-size our costs was the best option to accomplish our objectives,” he added.

“To be blunt, many smart, talented and hard-working people will be departing us.”

Ek said one-on-one meetings with impacted staff would take place before the end of the day Tuesday. Employees will receive around five months of severance pay on average.

Spotify (SPOT), which employs more than 9,000 people, laid off more than 500 employees in January, joining a slew of tech companies — including Microsoft (MSFT) and Amazon (AMZN) — in slashing headcount as the global economy slowed. And in June, Spotify cut 200 employees from its podcasting unit.

Major tech companies went on a hiring spree during the Covid-19 pandemic to keep up with a surge in demand from households and businesses for services such as online shopping and videoconferencing. But since then, inflation and rising interest rates have weighed on consumer spending, squeezed the supply of debt and equity funding, and made it costlier, leading many of them to announce deep job cuts.

While Spotify has enjoyed “robust growth” over the past year, the company has become “less efficient” and moved away from the “resourcefulness” that defined its early days as a tech start-up, Ek said.

Too many people are dedicated to support work rather than focused on delivering for content creators and consumers, he added.

Despite adding 6 million subscribers in the June-to-September period — 2 million more than the company had forecast — Spotify eked out a profit of just €32 million ($34.8 million) in that time. That was up from a loss of €228 million ($248 million) in the same period last year. The company has 226 million subscribers in total.

“We still have a ways to go before we are both productive and efficient… we have to become relentlessly resourceful,” Ek said.

“This is not a step back; it’s a strategic reorientation… A reduction of this size will make it necessary to change the way we work, and we will share much more about what this will mean in the days and weeks ahead.”

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 05:43:09 PM »
Tidal Lays Off 10 Percent Of Staff Following Spotify’s Previous Layoffs

https://music.mxdwn.com/2023/12/07/news/tidal-lays-off-10-percent-of-staff-following-spotifys-previous-layoffs/

According to NME, Tidal has laid off 40 members of staff from multiple sectors; about 10% of its total staff. The music streaming platform is owned by Twitter founder Jack Dorsey’s company, Block, which has been laying off people over several branches, which includes Square and Cash App.

The company commented on the action, “As part of Block and its recent announcement to cap the number of employees at the company to focus on business growth, TIDAL has carefully considered how to right-size our team to ensure we are able to continue to build and invest in critical areas of the business. We do not take these decisions lightly, and we are sincerely grateful for the contributions of our impacted teammates.”

Earlier this week, Spotify also announced that they were eliminating 17% of its workforce to save costs. The streaming platform had previously laid off 6% of its employees earlier in the year. Spotify Chief executive Daniel Ek said that the recent decision was made as economic growth has “slowed dramatically.” Around 1,500 jobs were reportedly lost in the recent Spotify layoff.

It was confirmed in March 2021 that Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey, who is also the CEO of Square, was buying the streaming platform from Jay Z for $297 million. The deal was completed later that year.

At the time, Dorsey explained that “It comes down to a simple idea: finding new ways for artists to support their work. New ideas are found at the intersections, and we believe there’s a compelling one between music and the economy. Making the economy work for artists is like what Square has done for sellers.”