• Online Ever: 367
  • (April 30, 2024, 01:13:11 PM)

Sunshine (2007) - A vastly underrated and overlooked Sci-Fi film

• 2 Replies

Offline Administrator

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Underground Music Companion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_(2007_film)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/

Directed by   Danny Boyle
Written by   Alex Garland
Produced by   Andrew Macdonald
Starring   
Cillian Murphy
Rose Byrne
Cliff Curtis
Chris Evans
Troy Garity
Hiroyuki Sanada
Benedict Wong
Michelle Yeoh
Mark Strong

Previous science fiction films that Boyle cited as influences included Stanley Kubrick's 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey, Andrei Tarkovsky's 1972 film Solaris, and Ridley Scott's 1979 science-fiction horror film Alien. Sunshine was released in the United Kingdom on 6 April 2007 and in the United States on 20 July 2007. The film took £3.2 million in the UK over twelve weeks, and in the USA it was placed no. 13 in the box office on the first weekend of its wide release. With a budget of US $40 million,[2] it ultimately grossed US $32 million worldwide.[3] Preceding its initial screening to the public, the film received generally positive reviews from critics, but was a box-office bomb. Widescreen DVD and Blu-ray editions of the film, also including the hi-definition theatrical trailer, scene selections, and director's commentary among other highlights, were released in the United States on 8 January 2008.

PLOT - Storyline

In the year 2057, the Sun is dying and Earth is on the threat of a second ice age. Eight international astronauts command the Icarus II, a ship fronted with a mirrored stellar bomb designed to reignite the dying star. The crew itself consists of Kaneda, the ship’s captain; communications officer and second-in-command Harvey; physicist Robert Capa; pilot Cassie; engineer James Mace; doctor and psychological officer Searle; navigator Trey; and biologist Corazon.

As Icarus II passes Mercury, the ship picks up a distress beacon from Icarus I, a prior attempt lost seven years earlier. Reasoning another payload allows another attempt, the crew changes course to intercept Icarus I, despite Mace's objections that there should be no deviation from the mission plan given what's at stake. Trey calculates and plots the route, but forgets to realign the shields and reflective panels get damaged; the broken panels could expose and destroy the ship.

Cassie angles the damaged shield panels into shadow as Kaneda and Capa spacewalk across the solar shield to make repairs. As expected, this incinerates their communications towers however, unexpectedly, reflected light burns the ship's "oxygen garden" and air reserves. The emergency autopilot tilts the ship back to the original alignment, and Kaneda orders Capa to retreat while he remains to repair the final panel. With no time to escape as the solar shield faces toward the sun, Kaneda is incinerated by the sunlight. Trey blames himself for Kaneda's death before Searle sedates him, assessing Trey as a suicide risk.

Without sufficient oxygen to deploy the payload, reaching Icarus I is now necessary for Icarus II to complete its mission. Capa, Searle, Mace, and Harvey search the vessel, leaving Cassie and Corazon onboard Icarus II with Trey. Despite having operational systems and an overgrown oxygen garden, Icarus I's mainframe has been sabotaged, rendering delivery of its payload impossible. Mace finds a crazed log from the captain of Icarus I, Pinbacker. Covered in severe burns, Pinbacker gives a fatalist tirade about their mission opposing God. Mace dates it at six and a half years ago, around the scheduled payload delivery. The charred remains of the Icarus I crew is found huddled in the observation deck, burned to death by unfiltered sun exposure.

Suddenly the two ships explosively decouple, destroying Icarus I's outer airlock. Stranded, the four on Icarus I agree to jettison back into Icarus II. Only one spacesuit is available and, over Harvey's self-serving objections, it's given to Capa as he's the most essential as he is the only person who knows how to deploy the Icarus II's payload. Harvey and Mace wrap themselves in airlock insulation hoping to survive the crossing back to Icarus II. With the mainframe destroyed, Searle volunteers to stay behind and manually open the inner airlock. During the jump Harvey misses the airlock and dies from space exposure while Capa and Mace make it back to Icarus II. Searle returns to the Icarus I observation deck and exposes himself to unfiltered sunlight and is incinerated.

Corazon calculates that there is enough oxygen for four people to reach the Sun, but there are still five crew members remaining. The group reluctantly votes to kill Trey. Mace declares he will do it but discovers Trey has already committed suicide. With the remaining crew somewhat relieved that they can succeed, the Icarus II computer warns Capa that there is still an oxygen shortage as there is an unidentified, unknown additional person on board. Capa discovers Cpt. Pinbacker, his body badly disfigured by burns, whom Capa deduces boarded from Icarus I and caused the explosive airlock decoupling. Pinbacker wounds and pursues Capa, who secures himself in the airlock; Pinbacker locks the interior, trapping him inside. After Pinbacker murders Corazon, he raises the Icarus II mainframes from their coolant baths, shutting down the power across the spacecraft. Mace manually triggers mainframe resets from within two baths, but the third mainframe crushes his leg and traps him in the coolant bath. Freezing to death, over the radio Mace begs Capa to complete the mission by releasing the payload manually.

Capa puts on a spacesuit and cuts through the interior airlock, before opening the exterior airlock. The resulting decompression tears off the interior door freeing Capa from the airlock. Capa deploys the payload and then boards the bomb as it detaches. The Icarus II, thrown off-course by the payload’s boosters, disintegrates in the sunlight. Inside the payload, Capa finds a wounded Cassie, but is choked by Pinbacker. Pinbacker claims he spent seven years "conversing" with God, and was told to send humanity to Heaven. Pinbacker holds Capa over the edge of the detonation chamber, but Cassie intervenes, tearing the damaged skin from Pinbacker’s arm and freeing Capa.

A mortally wounded Cassie encourages Capa to ignite the bomb, and he triggers the detonation. Capa watches as the stellar bomb begins to explode at the edge of the Sun. Spacetime distorts and the Sun's surface halts before Capa, who reaches out and touches it.

On Earth, Capa's sister and her children build snowmen on the frozen Sydney Harbour. Listening to Capa's last transmission, they watch as the Sun brightens in the sky, indicating the success of the mission.

Sunshine (2007) is a great film - arguably one of the best sci-fi/horror films of all time. But....(spoilers)

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/17n6udk/sunshine_2007_is_a_great_film_arguably_one_of_the/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 05:24:12 AM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
    • Underground Music Companion
Re: Sunshine (2007) - A vastly underrated and overlooked Sci-Fi film
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2024, 05:31:14 AM »
SUNSHINE (2007) | Movie Trailer | Full HD | 1080p

Sunshine (2007) - Trailer

Sunshine (2007) Trailer #1

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sunshine

Offline 5arah