∆Witch House∆ the thread

• 17 Replies

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
    • Underground Music Companion
∆Witch House∆ the thread
« on: May 05, 2021, 11:33:33 PM »
Witch house is an occult-themed dark electronic music genre and visual aesthetic that emerged in the early 2010s. The music is heavily influenced by chopped and screwed hip-hop soundscapes, industrial and noise experimentation, and features use of synthesizers, drum machines, obscure samples, droning repetition and heavily altered, ethereal, indiscernible vocals. The witch house visual aesthetic includes occult, witchcraft, shamanism and horror-inspired artworks, collages and photographs as well as significant use of typographic elements such as Unicode symbols. Many works by witch house visual artists incorporate themes from horror films, the television series Twin Peaks, and mainstream pop culture celebrities. Common typographic elements in artist and track names include triangles, crosses, and other Unicode symbols, which are seen by some as a method of keeping the scene underground and harder to search for on the Internet.

∆AIMON - anima (Music Video)

∆AIMON // IN FIRE AND IN BLOOD

« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 07:15:12 AM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
Re: What's your flavor of ∆Witch House∆?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 11:36:49 PM »
Corvx de Timor - Prejudice Can Kill

Corvx De Timor - Dolo (Serenade By Mircalla)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 07:14:41 AM by Administrator »

Madsen

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 02:39:31 PM »
Is Fever Ray Witchaus? She seems witchy.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
∆Witch House∆ the thread
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 09:21:42 PM »
Is Fever Ray Witchaus? She seems witchy.

I think they are more trip hop more than witch house.  All their stuff on discogs shows up as synth-pop, left field, electro, ambient, and techno.

LINK: Fever Ray Discogs

Ahh I remember their other project called The Knife.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 07:13:31 AM by Administrator »

Offline soillodge

• Persistence is All
    • View Profile
    • soillodge  Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 02:49:12 AM »
There were several musical disciplines being explored during this era that fell into WH nomenclature because that was the hype and it was easy to pen in. It was an amazing experience but I think it is well and truly dead.

Besides those you mentioned, I loved Black Ceiling, Mascara, Salem, White Ring, oOoOO,  Ritualz, Valhall, Unison, Bathaus, Eyedoublecross, Mahr, Wikan, and Crimes. Most of these projects just had 1 or 2 actual albums and then they faded out.

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 03:09:41 AM »
There were several musical disciplines being explored during this era that fell into WH nomenclature because that was the hype and it was easy to pen in. It was an amazing experience but I think it is well and truly dead.

Besides those you mentioned, I loved Black Ceiling, Mascara, Salem, White Ring, oOoOO,  Ritualz, Valhall, Unison, Bathaus, Eyedoublecross, Mahr, Wikan, and Crimes. Most of these projects just had 1 or 2 actual albums and then they faded out.

That's kinda sad because a lot of twitch.tv DJs I watch and some here in town still spin a lot of witch house and still have witch house nights.  So it's not completely dead yet.

Seems like V▲LH▲LL is doing well on the big Artoffact label.

LINK: Bandcamp: V▲LH▲LL albums on Artoffact

V▲LH▲LL - The Shape of Hugin

Offline soillodge

• Persistence is All
    • View Profile
    • soillodge  Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 08:33:33 PM »
Yeah, new Valhall is coming. I heard a track and its great. But the major players in the genre have pretty much gone dark. Salem and White Ring had albums last year, but you can hear they are moving into different territory.

Right now there is some post punk revival going on. I guess that would be...post-post punk? Or maybe 3-4 iterations? I have no idea...

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 11:57:24 PM »
Love this one

oOoOO - Hearts

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 12:08:21 AM by droidrage »

Offline soillodge

• Persistence is All
    • View Profile
    • soillodge  Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 10:05:21 PM »
Check out Drab City- that's a Greenspan side project: https://drabcity.bandcamp.com

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 08:22:23 PM »

This could make your case.. with ∆AIMON's sideproject: SØLVE

SØLVE | NEVER + ENOUGH

At first I thought you meant Drab Majesty

Drab City - Troubled Girl (Official Video)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:27:26 PM by droidrage »

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 12:09:15 AM »
That's kinda sad because a lot of twitch.tv DJs I watch and some here in town still spin a lot of witch house and still have witch house nights.  So it's not completely dead yet.

I sometimes still find new(er) acts doing stuff that falls sort of inside the vein of what people were doing 2011 - 2013 or so... mainly via Spotify playlist random finds or scanning the top albums on the WH Bandcamp tag. I've admittedly slowed putting out new CdT stuff as I was trying to focus more on bringing C/A/T back until the pandemic froze that progress and haven't felt the right vibe to work on that project except for a few one off tracks here and there... I think being angry all of the time for 16 months has just led to me wanting to do more aggressive music and I was always in a really chill mindset when I did any WH related production work.

Online 5arah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 01:46:31 AM »
I still really dig this kind thing, but haven't followed anything recentish as my attention has been more to my recentish discovery of synthwave.
I did this mix though

vandalaze

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 08:36:55 AM »
Grimes. I kid! It was actually through the 2010 "witch house" thing online I got back into dark scene shit through the college youth hipster time period. I remember really digging this in late 2010:

"WARN-U" by Ayshay (Fatima Al Qadiri)
Video by S.A.M. & the T.A.Z.

This was my contribution to a 2011 Witch House digital comp

Me performing in 2012:)  I guess I was a little bit inspired by the triangle emoji era
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 01:56:06 AM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 04:54:36 PM »

This was my contribution to a 2011 Witch House digital comp

I feel so ashamed to say this is my first time hearing Vandalaze and I'd like to say that this track is surprisingly pretty good.   ;D 8) :P  Got any more?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:55:42 AM by Administrator »

Offline droidrage

• I Am Imortem Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 05:01:58 PM »

I think being angry all of the time for 16 months has just led to me wanting to do more aggressive music and I was always in a really chill mindset when I did any WH related production work.

I'm tired of people always saying that witch house or any genre is dead when many artists still make the music and many DJs still spin it everyday.  So maybe many of your favorite artists have stopped or switched to making something else, but so what?  That doesn't mean an entire genre of music is dead.  Am I right?

Also why were you angry all the time?  For me it was mainly because of Trump and his horde of nutjobs but now we can finally move past the last four years I hope and get back to this music.